SSL VPN
JQ
Contributor
JQ

Junos Pulse Behaviour

I'm having an issue with Junos Pulse auto launching after a successful login through the web page.

Launching from the software client works, but we just migrated from using network connect and users would login through the web page and the app would launch after signing in.

Unfortunately, I may have missed an option somewhere, but I can't get the same behaviour with Pulse.

Is this by design (We have to launch it through the app now) or is there a way to launch pulse automatically after signing in through the web page.

Super Contributor
filbert

Re: Junos Pulse Behaviour

You should be able to enable auto launch it in the Network Connect options in the Role.

It's under Auto Launch Options

JQ
Contributor
JQ

I want to autolaunch Junos Pulse through the secure web portal like Network Connect.

Do I use the same option?

Super Contributor
filbert

Yes, the settings applies to both NC and Pulse.

zanyterp

yes, this is by design.

is there a concern with doing it through the application (other than habit)?

JQ
Contributor
JQ

There was a concern as the user community is use to a certain way of doing things.

Even if I auto connect network connect, pulse won't activate the ssl vpn tunnel automatically per someone's recommendation.

Just wanted to know if this was the defautl behaviour as I can see an influx of helpdesk calls coming in.  We just need a little re-education for our user community.

Super Contributor
filbert

What version of IVE and Pulse are you using? We have many systems setup with Pulse enabled to auto start when a user starts a vpn session using their browser. It works fine.

zanyterp

JQ wrote:

There was a concern as the user community is use to a certain way of doing things.

Even if I auto connect network connect, pulse won't activate the ssl vpn tunnel automatically per someone's recommendation.

Just wanted to know if this was the defautl behaviour as I can see an influx of helpdesk calls coming in.  We just need a little re-education for our user community.

what do you mean "won't activate the ssl vpn automatically"?

Recognized Expert
jayLaiz

Hi JQ,

This auto-launch works for pulse as well, please make sure that for the user role you are using, under the role-->network connect options-->under client options-->pulse is selected and then make sure auto-launch is checked

Note : please make this change only if all the users in that role use Pulse and not network connect

If it still does not work,please let us know the SA firmware version and the pulse version ?

Regards,

Jay

Moderator Moderator
ruc

JQ,

If you are using PRE Pulse 3.0/SA 7.2: To achieve the 'Auto Launch' experience  similar to what end users have with NC (when signing in from a browser) you have to enable the following two config options

1. 'Auto-launch' (Under Role >> Network Connect/VPN Tunneling)

2. Under Junos Pulse >> Connections >> Connection is Established >>  Automatically after user logs on

However a side effect of config # 2 is that the Pulse client starts every time a user logs into windows. Some customers may not want this behavior.

However In Pulse 3.0R1 (and upwards) this has been modified and config # 2 mentioned above is no longer required to achieve the 'Auto Launch' experience similar to NC. Config # 1 should be sufficient.

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.