SSL VPN
Visitor
jfb1999
Accepted Solution

Migrate configuration from 6.5R8 to new appliance running 7.1R1

Hello,

I want to migrate the configuration of an old SA4000-based cluster running release 6.5R8 into a new cluster running release 7.1R1 (two new boxes).  I tried to restore from a system.cfg file and from an XML import/export but it doesn't work.

I've take a look at the push config, but it is not supported accross different versions.

How should I proceed?  Should I downgrade the new cluster to release 6.5R8 first, and then restore from a system.cfg?  What are my options?

Thank you very much in advance.

zanyterp

Re: Migrate configuration from 6.5R8 to new appliance running 7.1R1

Don't use the system.cfg for anything other than moving the certificate(s) to the new cluster. Yes, XML will not work for this (it requires the same version on both devices).
What you want is the user.cfg from Maintenance>Import/Export>User accounts. This file has all the things you don't want to lose from a backup perspective as well as when moving configurations to new units (realms, roles, resource policies, resource profiles, auth servers, et cetera).

You will also want to upgrade to the latest 7.2 or 7.1 release as part of deployment prep
Visitor
jfb1999

Indeed it is working fine.  Thank you very much for the info.

zanyterp

You are welcome; glad to hear it is working successfully for you now

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.