SSL VPN
Visitor
johnsb

Terminal Session -- Connect Printer

We have users trying to print via Juniper. Connect local printers is enabled on the resource and the role. However the USB printer does not show up on the Terminal session as an option.

Do USB printers not work via MS Terminal?

Or am I missing some magic hack.

I already tried the Knowledge Base #KB8515 with no luck.

Thanks in advance.
Visitor
johnsb

Re: Terminal Session -- Connect Printer

I found the problem.

Apparently the Terminal Server has to have the same drivers installed that the client is using. Once we switch the user to the default windows drivers the printer showed up via a RDP session without any other modifications.
Contributor
Kevin

This is no longer a requirement with some third party applications - like UniPrint, and RDP 6.1 using TS Easy Print.
New User
Uniper

Hello, installing RDP6.1 seems not be a an easy option for the moment. It seems you need to have Windows 2008 and Vista or XP sp3 on the client side.

This is what Juniper says, but it doesn't seem to work:

What’s New in IVE v6.0

Version 6.0 of the SSL VPN software includes several new enhancements aimed at improving WTS usability and the overall end user experience. The first enhancement allows the use of a universal printer driver through the WTS proxy, avoiding the need to install numerous third party printer drivers on terminal servers for every user’s local printer.

Contributor
Kevin

The "universal print driver" that the docs are talking about is the TS Easy Print feature of RDP 6.1.  So if you can't use RDP 6.1, you won't be able to benefit from the new feature of IVE 6.0.  UniPrint is a third-party solution to this (http://www.uniprint.net/products_TerminalServerEdition.asp).
Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.