SSL VPN
cbarcellos

Re: When is 6.5R3 due?

[ Edited ]

Tessian,

I wanted to double check this, so I tested it on a 6.5r2 IVE in my lab.

First I uninstalled all Juniper applications. Next I logged into the IVE with the SVW setting to invoke at the realm level.This caused a HC installer to popup, which loaded SVW on my system. Then I logged into the IVE from inside the SVW session. NC auto installed and then launched normally.

I then logged out of SVW to check which Juniper Apps were still on the system. HC and NC were installed. I logged into SVW again and saw that NC launched properly, as it was already on the system. So it looks like NC will install inside of SVW without issue. In my test I used IE6/XP with SP3.

WSAM also installed inside of SVW, and was still on the system after logging out. WSAM launched normally when I logged in the second time as well.

Contributor
Tessian

It's good to know what I thought originally is correct...that the software will and does install inside of SVW.  The problem that I mentioned earlier is that this is not 100% effective.  Especially after our upgrade to 6.5 we had many users with issues getting either Host Checker or WSAM to work correctly inside of SVW.  Host Checker most common problem was that it would constantly redownload the ESAP package (up to 3 times in a row) everytime they went to log in, WSAM most common problem is that while it would launch and show connected it would never actually send data through it.  In both cases the fix for this was to uninstall both pieces of software and have them installed / run outside of SVW.  For the majority of users this was not necessary, but it happened to enough of our user base for it to be obvious that there is some problem with installing Juniper software inside of SVW.

cbarcellos

Tessian,

That experience shouldn't happen. If some users work, but others don't, it sounds like deeper research needs to be done. I'd reccomend opening up a JTAC case to get this looked at.

Contributor
Tessian

Thanks I've already done so although I don't hold much hope in a resolution... looks like it's time to start researching alternatives to SVW, we've been using it for over a year now and it's clear that the feature is just not reliable enough to be used in a large production setting with non-standardized endpoints (which I thought is what it was designed for).

Thanks again for your input.

cbarcellos

[ Edited ]

dcvers:

The "What's New" guide for 6.5 now lists the new Whitelist feature. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/ive/6.x/releasenotes/6.5-whats_new.pdf

Tessian:

No problem. I'm sure that JTAC will find a resolution for the SVW problem you're running into. Their job is to ensure you're satisfied with the resolutions that are presented to you. If you're having problems with the case, feel free to message me the case number so I can follow up on it for you.

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.