Screen OS

last person joined: 8 months ago 

This is a legacy community with limited Juniper monitoring.
  • 1.  After reset the default login is not correct

Posted 10-18-2011 06:00

Hello everyone,

I'm having trouble to get in an used Juniper SSG 20. When I connected to 192.168.1.1 I had the webGUI where the login name and password were unknown by me so a did a reset through the reset button on the back of the Juniper. When I tried to login again with netscreen, it didn't work. I tried to connect with the console port and loged in with the serial number of the device which would also reset it. It gave me a warning and after resetting I tried to login again (netscreen - netscreen) which also didn't work. Can someone tell me what to do so I can get inside the webgui?

---

Jonathan

#password
    #Reset
    #defaultpassword
    #default
    #reseterror

• 2.  RE: After reset the default login is not correct
    Best Answer

Posted 10-18-2011 15:01

It sounds like you are only doing part one of the two part hard reset.  You need to do the pin hole set twice with a particular timing that can be hard to catch if you don't have a computer attached to the console port to see the OS prompts.

ScreenOS provide two methods to reset a device to the factory default settings.

Hard reset (Pinhole reset)
    Soft reset (Console login)

The pinhole reset method can be difficult to achieve if you do not have a console session going to see the prompts.  As the process requires two times holding in the reset button at the correct intervals.  This can be done by observing the lights but can be tricky to get the timing right.  

The console login with the serial number is quite easy if the cable is available and the unit accessible.  Simply use the device serial number as both the user name and password and then confirm the reset.

Reset Disabled by Configuration

An important caveat to using these methods is that both of these reset functions can be disabled by a configuration statement.  And if the current configuration does disable the feature you cannot perform that type of reset.

Reference

How to reset screenOS firewalls
    http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB5046

• 3.  RE: After reset the default login is not correct

Posted 10-20-2011 06:22

I did another reset (soft-reset) and it worked this time. Thank you Steve Puluka for the help.

• 4.  RE: After reset the default login is not correct

Posted 05-21-2013 01:19

I have devices Juniper SSG 140 for config Firewall.

Now, I can not login into because I do not remember password this Devices.

Could you help me to login it ( Beside Reset) and if reset that password default is netscreen?

• 5.  RE: After reset the default login is not correct

Posted 05-25-2013 05:52
    Unfortunately, reset is the only option if you have no login at all to the device.

After reset both the user and password are netscreen.