ScreenOS Firewalls (NOT SRX)
Contributor
abdul_mh

Block Torrent

Dear,

I have juniper Netscreen 50 in my company. All my company users are heavily using torrent and limiting the bandwidth of the internet connection . Can anyone help me how to block torrent client through Netscreen 50.

Regards

Abdul Rahuman.M

Super Contributor
mehdi

Re: Block Torrent

hi

Is not easy to block torrent port the P2P client  can always find a new port that is open. uTorrent, and other clients, can tell you if the selected port is open or not.

The best way to go is to talk to him and tell him to stop, or else you will block his connection all together for ever. That simple.

or you can use Websens or similar application to block him or you change your ropology regarding internet connection like put proxy between end users and the firewall, this solution can help you more to controle you internet access 

thanks

**If this reply solved your problem click on Kudos **
Kind Regard
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mkhitmane
personal mail: mehdi.khitmane@gmail.com
Contributor
abdul_mh

Dear Mehdi,

'Deep inspection' method in Juniper won't help to block the torrent? Cisco is promising that they can block P2P using Cisco IPS , Juniper don't have any product like that?

Regards

Abdul Rahuman.M

Trusted Expert
SSHSSH

i think it can be done using juniper IDP

i'll need to block torrent & messenger using idp soon , if juniper idp will not be abl;e to do that , it'll be a problem

Contributor
mkelly_uwyo

I wouldnt trust any vendor that says they can block p2p with any level of accuracy.

The only thing you can do is educate and/or punish your users when you catch them running p2p.

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.