ScreenOS Firewalls (NOT SRX)
Visitor
dvs_mark

Blue Screen of Death when installing Netscreen Remote version 10.8

I have been consistantly getting a Blue Screen of Death when attempting to install Netscreen Remote 10.8.0 (Build 20)on a windows XP box.

the installer gets 80% through and then I get a BSOD with the mesage BAD_POOL_CALLER

Since the install fails I can uninstall what is already half installed

Any help would be appreciated

Distinguished Expert
rkim

Re: Blue Screen of Death when installing Netscreen Remote version 10.8

A couple of questions. What kind of PC is this (make/model)? What other software is installed? In particular, are there any other IPSec or VPN software installed on the same machine?

-Richard

Visitor
dvs_mark

standard Dell Workstation running windows XP 2

The issue has occurred twice with version 10.8.0 and an earlier version of NetRemote

Super Contributor
sylvain

Hi DVS,

Do you have other IPsec client on this machine ( cisco , nortel , checkpoint ..) ?

Visitor
dvs_mark

other than the previous version of Netscreen Remote

I wish there was a utility to clean Netscreen Remote when it fails

Distinguished Expert
rkim

In my past experience, most BSOD issues I have seen with NetScreen-Remote is due to some conflict between NSR and some other application. Most often it is due to other VPN clients or software firewalls. There could also be some conflict with OEM software by some PC manufacturers. BAD_POOL_CALLER seems to indicate a problem with memory management on the PC so there could also be a hardware issue or some sort of corruption in the Windows XP installation.

Although you may not believe that there is any other software that could conflict, there could be some app still installed which may not be obvious at first. One way you can check is to use another app like Belarc Advisor (http://belarc.com/free_download.html) to find out everything that is installed and uninstall any that could conflict.

If that all fails then the last recourse would probably be to re-install Windows. This is especially true if you find that NSR can install on other machines, but only has a problem with this Dell PC.

I hope this helps.

-Richard

New User
Roscoe

Make sure and check out this very closely related KB (the thread needed this info):

http://kb.juniper.net/KB9275

(ps Juniper: I've never seen any other installer crash this miserably - it may be worth some time to fix this in future releases of NSR)

New User
Amster

This resolved the issues I was having:

http://www.citrix.com/lang/English/lp/lp_1680845.asp

Run winfix

then reboot

then dneupdate

then reboot

then install netscreen remote and final reboot!

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.