ScreenOS Firewalls (NOT SRX)
Contributor
MuggsyO

Can i see the encrypted traffic trought the firewall?

Hi Everybody

I tried to know if its possible to see the encrypted traffic, on the Juniper ISG 2000?

If it possible how can i see it?

Trusted Contributor
Gavrilo

Re: Can i see the encrypted traffic trought the firewall?

If you mean can you see it as decypted traffic - No (Thats why it is encrypted :smileyvery-happy:)

If you mean can you see it as a stream of encrypted traffic - Yes (Thats what hackers/crackers try to break :smileymad:)

Trusted Expert Trusted Expert
Trusted Expert
WL

Actually for the ISG platform, you may not even be able to see the encrypted traffic itself as this is handled in hardware. You will not be able to see even in the debugs.
****pls click the button " Accept as Solution" if my post helped to solve your problem****
Trusted Contributor
Gavrilo

Good point WL
Contributor
fharoon

Even if you are able to see the traffic it will be cipher-text, I wonder why you require this? Is it a POC for a customer?

Regards

Farrukh Haroon

Super Contributor
Cesar

[ Edited ]

MuggsyO,

If the encrypted traffic is terminated on the ISG-2000, you can disable the security device from creating a hardware session for a specific traffic via CLI "set no-hw-sess" under policy for troubleshooting purposes. This is supported since ScreenOS 6.1

In addition to that, you can use flow and snoop filters on tunnel traffic since ScreenOS 6.2

Hope this helps.

Cesar

Message Edited by Cesar on 03-12-2009 10:40 AM
Distinguished Expert
Screenie

Hi Cesar,

I thought you could also force transit traffic to go over the CPU and debug it, not only terminated traffic?

best regards,

Screenie.
Juniper Ambassador,
JNCIA IDP AC WX JNCIS FW SSL JNCIP SEC ENT SP JNCI

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.
Super Contributor
Cesar

Screenie,

You are right, you can also send pass though traffic to CPU via  "set no-hw-sess" but the box will not decrypt encrypted pass-though traffic.

Cesar

Distinguished Expert
Screenie

Thanks fot your answer Cesar. Of course you can't decrypt the traffic when it's transit. I just wanted to make sure I didn't have it wrong on the debug feature on ISG's. Thanks again.

best regards,

Screenie.
Juniper Ambassador,
JNCIA IDP AC WX JNCIS FW SSL JNCIP SEC ENT SP JNCI

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.
Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.