Screen OS

last person joined: 8 months ago 

This is a legacy community with limited Juniper monitoring.
  • 1.  Configuring Email Notifications of Alarms in SSG5

Posted 04-20-2009 21:46
    Dear All,

I have configured the bandwidth shaping in SSG5 in one of the interface and corresponding policy also.I have created a threshold value for the alarm.Now I want that whenever the traffic cross the threshold value in that policy a mail shpuld be sent to the configured mail id.

I configured the mail ID also using the steps:
    Configuration > Report Settings > Email

Here only I have to give the SMTP server IP and the Mail ID.

But I am not getting any mail whereas the traffic is crossing the threshold value.here is the error I am getting:

Unexpected error from e-mail server(state=2): 421 dns lookup failed for sender domain.

Plesae Let me know what can be the reasons for the error and possible solutions.This is quite possible to send Alarm notofication using Email.

Thanks and Regards
    Atul Sharma

• 2.  RE: Configuring Email Notifications of Alarms in SSG5

Posted 04-20-2009 22:17

Looks like  the mailserver config is not correct. Try  to run "debug sendmail basic" and see.

get db str (tosee output)

undebug all

• 3.  RE: Configuring Email Notifications of Alarms in SSG5

Posted 04-20-2009 23:10

Hi,

Thanks for the reply

I run the commands as suggested

1. debug sendmail basic

2. get db str

but didn't get any information whereas now the error that router is displaying regarding the mail notification is :

Unexpected error from e-mail server(state=3): 550 must be authenticated.

Regards

Atul Sharma

• 4.  RE: Configuring Email Notifications of Alarms in SSG5

Posted 04-21-2009 14:57
    Seems to me the E-mail server you configured doesn't accept traffic from the firewall.

• 5.  RE: Configuring Email Notifications of Alarms in SSG5

Posted 04-21-2009 21:29

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion.

But I think the mail server which I am currently using requires the SMTP Authentication i.e. for sending the mail using the mail server the sender has to be authenticated with mail server.And In SSG5 while sending the mail notifications there is no provision for providing the SMTP authentication parameters (User name and password).

Can you Let me know that Does mail client in SSG5 (Screenos 5.4.0r6.0) supports SMTP Authentication or not ? if it supports the the SMTP Authentication then only we will be able to send the mail using the mail server else mail server will require the SMTP Authentication parameters for which there is no provision in SSG5. Correct me If I am wrong.

Regards

Atul Sharma

• 6.  RE: Configuring Email Notifications of Alarms in SSG5
    Best Answer

Posted 04-22-2009 08:51
    Yes, we don't support smtp authentication.

• 7.  RE: Configuring Email Notifications of Alarms in SSG5

Posted 04-23-2009 21:00

Hi,

Thanks for the Reply..

So can you let me know how do I can use the Mail Notifications feature in the SSG5. As I have tested that most of the (all most all) mail server is enabled with SMTP Authentication and I was not able to use them.

Anyway SMTP authentication must be included in further version of ScreenOS.

Regards

Atul Sharma 

• 8.  RE: Configuring Email Notifications of Alarms in SSG5

Posted 01-02-2014 09:19

You need to set up a SMTP relay server with on your network that provides annonymous access and have it relay through your actual email server. Im using Office 365 so I used these instructions http://www.getoffice365trial.com/configure-office-365-smtp-relay/

most important for juniper, you must set the device hostname as the email user set up in the authentication part of the SMTP relay server and the domain as the same domain as the email account so it will appear as hostname@mydomain.com