Screen OS

last person joined: 8 months ago 

This is a legacy community with limited Juniper monitoring.
  • 1.  Configuring ISP on Eth0/1 but as dhcp as we dont have a static ip from this isp

Posted 08-30-2009 21:30

Hiii

Please tell me how to configure the eth0/1 port for the ISP such that the configuration is done via dhcp as we dont have a static ip from the ISP and need to terminate this ISP line on the firewall using eth0/1 port 

Modem is configured in bridge mode

Kindly help

Thanks 

Raj

• 2.  RE: Configuring ISP on Eth0/1 but as dhcp as we dont have a static ip from this isp

Posted 08-31-2009 01:54

Hi,

Have you tried this: 

http://kb.juniper.net/KB4244

/m

• 3.  RE: Configuring ISP on Eth0/1 but as dhcp as we dont have a static ip from this isp

Posted 08-31-2009 04:30

Hi

I have already tried this it didnt work out

Still no traffic was diverted through the isp configured on eth0/1 on which i tried the configuration as given in kb

Thanks

Raj

• 4.  RE: Configuring ISP on Eth0/1 but as dhcp as we dont have a static ip from this isp

Posted 08-31-2009 05:52

Hi,

May I ask if this is a DSL line using PPOE?  I've had a log of issues with this type of setup and may be able to offer some assistance.  Let me know.

-John

• 5.  RE: Configuring ISP on Eth0/1 but as dhcp as we dont have a static ip from this isp

Posted 08-31-2009 20:09

Hi John

The DSL Modem has been configured in the bridge mode its a WiMax  Connection of Reliance, the only problem is that since it does not come with a static ip I dont know how to configure it on eth0/1 as I have configured the ISPs on eth0/2 and eth0/3 using their respective static IPs on the interface

This interface eth0/1 needs to be configured without using any static IP  but DHCP wherein the ip assigned by the ISP keeps on changing

Please tell me how to configure this.

Thanks

Raj

• 6.  RE: Configuring ISP on Eth0/1 but as dhcp as we dont have a static ip from this isp

Posted 09-01-2009 03:00

Hi Raj,

So I'm assuming that the interface eth0/1 is up and the only problem is getting the IP address.

If you are sure that you should not use PPP then please copy here the output of "debug dhcp client" maybe it will show something interesting.

regards,

/m

• 7.  RE: Configuring ISP on Eth0/1 but as dhcp as we dont have a static ip from this isp

Posted 09-01-2009 06:01

Log : debug dhcp client

## 2009-09-01 18:24:49 : DHCP: remain time 660, lease 720, dhcp state 3
    ## 2009-09-01 18:24:59 : DHCP: remain time 659, lease 720, dhcp state 3
    ## 2009-09-01 18:25:09 : DHCP: remain time 658, lease 720, dhcp state 3

Once I terminated the ISP on eth0/1 and

run debug dhcp client.

undebug all

It started working , I dont know how

Only Problem is that its asking me the ISP Login and Password where do i store it in firewall for all ISPs with static IP i have configured the username and password in PPP - PPPoE Profile

• 8.  RE: Configuring ISP on Eth0/1 but as dhcp as we dont have a static ip from this isp

Posted 09-01-2009 06:20

Sorry, but where do you get the prompt to put the username and password ?

Do you get it in your browser after you receive your IP address ?

regards,

/m

• 9.  RE: Configuring ISP on Eth0/1 but as dhcp as we dont have a static ip from this isp

Posted 09-01-2009 20:34

Hi

I was getting it on the browser ,this happened only once there after when i tried again it stopped working as i am not able to browse the

internet but the eth0/1 shows that it has a IP assigned by DHCP

Hence when i try to open a website e.g google.com it shows "Page cannot be displayed"

Why is it not allowing browsing or internet access

Thanks

Raj 

• 10.  RE: Configuring ISP on Eth0/1 but as dhcp as we dont have a static ip from this isp

Posted 09-02-2009 01:14
    Hi,

My guess is that this ISP is changing all DNS replies to their DNS servers to point to some web page on which you should authenticate. If you are not using their DNSes it will not work. If this is the case the firewall can not authenticate for you.

/m

• 11.  RE: Configuring ISP on Eth0/1 but as dhcp as we dont have a static ip from this isp
    Best Answer

Posted 10-24-2009 03:04

Hi All

It Works , Ultimately I was able to fond out the solution....

Steps To Do :

1. Connect the Line to the Interface (e.g. Interface eth0/1)

2. From CLI - Give set interface eth0/1 dhcp-client

3. Now Create the PPPoE Account

4. From CLI - Give : cl db

set db size 4096

debug dhcp-client

undebug all

get db str

cl db

5. For the First time it will ask for the username and password

Thanks

Raj