Screen OS

last person joined: 8 months ago 

This is a legacy community with limited Juniper monitoring.
  • 1.  Crash dump with mm_pool_free error using RADIUS eap on Wireless systems

Posted 05-20-2010 18:05

I just finished up working on a case where our wireless firewalls running at least three different versions of ScreenOS were crashing and rebooting unexpectedly. Looking at the crash logs they all had the mm_pool_free error.

JTAC was able to find that the issue was with eap on the RADIUS authentication for our wireless segment. The crash would occur only when a reject packet was issued on the authentication. They have delivered a patch version of 6.2 R5 that fixes the problem.

If you are using RADIUS authentication on wireless check your system log to see if you have a crash file with the mm_pool_free error. If so open a case to request the patch.

Run:

get log sys saved

If there is a crash log look for the exception type mm_pool_free error right under your version number.

The fix will be in production releases this summer 6.2 R7 in August and 6.3 R4 in July. I'm impressed that the specific issue in our crash was identified and a patch delivered all in about three weeks time. Kudos to JTAC and the development team.

• 2.  RE: Crash dump with mm_pool_free error using RADIUS eap on Wireless systems

Posted 05-21-2010 11:56

Thanks Steve, reply to this and I'll flag your reply as the solution.

• 3.  RE: Crash dump with mm_pool_free error using RADIUS eap on Wireless systems
    Best Answer

Posted 05-21-2010 16:02

Seemingly random reboots are never fun having a quick solution to the problem was nice.