Screen OS

last person joined: 8 months ago 

This is a legacy community with limited Juniper monitoring.
  • 1.  Effective Area Range for SSG 20 transceiver

Posted 01-02-2012 07:47

HI experts;; I want to install to SSG 20 (Wireless model) at various edge locations. plan is to connect Notebook with SSG 20 through WiFi. But I am not sure what is effective range (in terms of meters) of SSG 20 Transceiver with Diversity Antenna .

Please guide me , also comment is it a workable solution specially when SSG 20 is installed in a network cabinet inside a room and Notebook is operating in open area near the cabinet room

• 2.  RE: Effective Area Range for SSG 20 transceiver
    Best Answer

Posted 01-02-2012 17:24

There is no spec for distance as it all depends on the scenario.  What matters is how well the wireless signal can travel.  What barriers are there to block the transmission and what other electronic equipment is around that might interfere with the signal.

I had scenario where we had to put access points only 20 feet apart because the interveneing space was a steel and concrete stairwell that just stopped the signal cold.

I had another were the signal worked fine hundreds of feet away because the area was an open warehouse shop floor.

If your laptop is only one standard indoor wall away from the SSG20 then you should readily get a good 75-100 feet.  Unless there is a source of interference in the area.