Screen OS

last person joined: 8 months ago 

This is a legacy community with limited Juniper monitoring.
  • 1.  Forgot password of SSG

Posted 02-28-2008 05:48

Hi

Can any one guide how can i reset password on SSG-550? I search the KB but it suggest that u have to reset the device to factory-fault. I do not want factory-default.

Please guide me

Kashif

• 2.  RE: Forgot password of SSG
    Best Answer

Posted 02-28-2008 08:53
    Unfortunately, it does require you to reset the firewall device, erasing the config, and then reloading a backup of the config.

If you do have the password for an admin account, then step 1 of the Password Recovery KB, http://kb.juniper.net/KB5046, is a way to retrieve the config so that you can then load the config (in step 3) after you reset the firewall device.

--Josine

• 3.  RE: Forgot password of SSG

Posted 02-29-2008 01:34

Hi

Thanks a lot for reply. Actually i have a scenario that i do not have backup configuration of SSG and and i forgot password of root (i have only one account on SSG). How can i reset password of root? Please reply if you have any solution?

• 4.  RE: Forgot password of SSG

Posted 02-29-2008 02:22
    Hi,

As Josine pointed out, if you've lost the password the only thing you can do is reset completely (including the config).  If you don't have a backup of the config, then I'm afraid you'll have to rebuild it from scratch.  This is a security feature.  If the device falls into the hands of someone other than the valid administrator, the best they can do is end up with a factory fresh box.  This gives them no clues as to how they might break into your network.

Rgds,

Guy

• 5.  RE: Forgot password of SSG

Posted 09-01-2010 14:44

Extrapolating on the above poster's scenario:

A 2 device active-passive NSRP failover group (X and Y)

I have the backup config and password to X (active)

I do not have the config OR password to Y (passive).

I know, based on the above that I have to reset Y, but then I shouldn't need to build the config from scratch right?  If I add it back to the NSRP group, it should build the config based on X.

Does adding it back to the NSRP group change anything on X?

TIA