Screen OS

last person joined: 8 months ago 

This is a legacy community with limited Juniper monitoring.
  • 1.  How to change sequence number for routing table entries

Posted 04-16-2014 07:17

Hi Guys,

Does it matter if the new static routes in my Juniper routing table are underneath the default route or it doesn't?

There is no option to bring it up or down like with the policies.

I can see the routes are active (*)

Thanks,

Dom

• 2.  RE: How to change sequence number for routing table entries
    Best Answer

Posted 04-16-2014 10:23

Hi,

There are bunch of rules how routes take place. Firstly a route with smaller subnet mask takes place before bigger one (default route is /0). So basicly ALL routes takes place before the default route. It's the "last resort". Then there are metrics and costs depending which routing protocol you're using. With static routes you can use metric and preferences to manipulate routes. *-mark infront of route means it's the active one. Also easy way to check routing is to type in command get route ip X.X.X.X and see possible routes for the destination ip.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please click "Accepted as Solution". Kudos also welcome!

• 3.  RE: How to change sequence number for routing table entries

Posted 04-17-2014 01:25

Hi Terosa,

My default route of 0.0.0.0/0 is on the end of the routing table.

I have added 2 new routes X.X.X.X/32 and X.X.X.Y/32 which have been placed below default route when you have a look via GUI on the routing table. 

Now the question does the order matter?

Should these routes been placed above the default route automatically?

• 4.  RE: How to change sequence number for routing table entries

Posted 04-17-2014 03:18

No, the order the routes appear in the display is not  a factor in the route choice.

As Terosa mentions, you use the get route command to test what route will be used for a specific address.

get route ip 1.1.1.1

will let you know which route is used for that host address based on route length, metric and preference.

• 5.  RE: How to change sequence number for routing table entries

Posted 04-17-2014 03:39

Thanks a lot Steve