ScreenOS Firewalls (NOT SRX)
Distinguished Expert
spuluka

Introduction to ScreenOS On-line

I just finished creating an online version of the introductory Configuring Juniper ScreenOS Firewall/IPSEC VPN class.  These have recorded lectures and links to the supplemental material from the documentation and kb articles.

This is my experiment with using Moodle software to participate in the "Open Courseware" movement.  The classes are open without restriction.  Guest access is enabled so no account is needed.

http://puluka.com/classes/course/view.php?id=5

Steve Puluka BSEET
Juniper Ambassador
Senior Network Engineer - UPMC Pittsburgh, PA
JNCIA-ER JNCIA-EX JNCIS-SEC JNCIP-SEC
JNCIS-FWV JNCIS-SSL
MCP - Managing Server 2003 MCP - Windows XP Professional
MCTS Windows 7
http://puluka.com/home
Administrator
Jewels

Re: Introduction to ScreenOS On-line

Hi Steve-

This is great content and we appreciate your efforts to help educate others about Juniper products. With your permission I would like to promote this through our Social Media properties.

Thank you!

Julie

Julie Wider
Community Manager
Twitter: @JNetCommunity & @jawider

Super Contributor
mwdmeyer

Nice idea but um why bother? ScreenOS is dying, there has been no major version released for ages (like almost 3 years)!

This might have been useful 5-10 years ago, but now everyone is moving to the SRX (even though it sucks).

Distinguished Expert
spuluka

Jewels,

Definately feel free to spread this around.  I hope some will find it useful.

Mwdmeyer,

Certainly SRX is the long term future.  But I'm running a fairly large ScreenOS based network for at least several more years.  I've been working on this training material for internal purposes in support of that network.  So I thought I would take the next step and prepare a Moodle version for public consumption.

And the activity of this board leads me to believe the platform is not dead yet.

Sorry that this doesn't help you.  But I do think I'll prepare some Junos based material in the future.

Steve Puluka BSEET
Juniper Ambassador
Senior Network Engineer - UPMC Pittsburgh, PA
JNCIA-ER JNCIA-EX JNCIS-SEC JNCIP-SEC
JNCIS-FWV JNCIS-SSL
MCP - Managing Server 2003 MCP - Windows XP Professional
MCTS Windows 7
http://puluka.com/home
Super Contributor
mwdmeyer

[ Edited ]

Don't get me wrong, the content looks good.

The issue is that I wouldn't suggest anyone build a network with SSGs now, you should be using the SRX (or if they don't work for you another vendor). And you really shouldn't be training new people or doing tests in ScreenOS, that is a complete waste of time

Anyone with an existing SSG network should already have all the documentation required to maintain it.

I highly doubt Juniper will release any new ScreenOS versions (other than basic bug fixes).

An SRX/JunOS website like this would be much more useful.

Just because there is activity on this forum does not mean the platform isn't dead. It is dead, Juniper have not released a new version in 3 years. 3 years!!! Seriously think about that.

For example Blackberry is basically a dead platform but they still release updates to it! ScreenOS was dead as soon as Juniper released the SRX.

Contributor
hansei

I do slightly disagree. There is lots of Juniper ScreenOS based boxes in production and unless they are replaced someone has to know them and manage them. ScreenOS have been a quite sucessful product in the past. Juniper do still not have all the features needed in SRX that where in ScreenOS, so for some applications it does still makes sense to invest in ScreenOS based boxes.

If you plan on move to other platform and have ScreenOS in production you might have to know ScreenOS to be able to migrate.

You are however right about ScreenOS is not the future, so people should only use time in learning ScreenOS if they need to know anything about this. ScreenOS is not dead yet, but dying. Junipers policy so far has been to sell boxes one year after announcing end of sale and then support the boxes five more years after end of sale.

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.