Screen OS

last person joined: 8 months ago 

This is a legacy community with limited Juniper monitoring.
  • 1.  MAC-Address issue on NS25

Posted 01-23-2009 15:34

I have to connectd several NS25 Firewalls (Version 5.4.0r11.0) on the same switch within the same vlan.

I notice that all Firewalls have the same MAC-Addresses for example ethernet1 ethernet2 and so on. 

I've connected two ethernet1 Interfaces from two different Firewalls and the switch start to mess up with the mac-address on different ports.

What is the workaround for this problem. Is there a way to change the mac-address?

Regards

Iglu

• 2.  RE: MAC-Address issue on NS25
    Best Answer

Posted 01-26-2009 07:08
    You shouldn't have the same MAC address among different devices, as the MAC address is an address that is unique to that particular hardware.  There are a few exceptions, mostly for high availability.  If the NS-25's are in an NSRP cluster, then it is possible to have multiple device using the same MAC address if, and only if, you have a NSRP cluster id and VSD id conflict.  Check to see if you have multiple NSRP clusters connected to the same switch, and make sure the cluster id and VSD id are different.  If they are identical, you will run into this problem.

• 3.  RE: MAC-Address issue on NS25

Posted 01-26-2009 08:27
    nice catch oldtimer!  kudos