Screen OS

last person joined: 8 months ago 

This is a legacy community with limited Juniper monitoring.
  • 1.  NS5GT not blocking traffic

Posted 04-28-2010 09:51

I have a NS5GT wireless with 5.4.r3a code.

I have a policy to block most of asia and a few others that we all know generate a lot of useless traffic.

The problem is, my firewall is blocking nothing.  I have one IP coming through my SMTP policy that I set a policy to deny only that IP, and it is still getting by.

Has anyone seen this or have suggestions to fix it?

• 2.  RE: NS5GT not blocking traffic

Posted 04-28-2010 14:29

Turn on logging for your policies to see which one the traffic is even hitting.

Most of the time when this happens to me I eventually find out that the traffic I am trying to block is hitting an allow rule first and getting through that way.  Take a look at the order of your policies and make sure they apply in a way that blocks what you don't want and allows what you want.

• 3.  RE: NS5GT not blocking traffic

Posted 04-28-2010 14:50

Thanks for the reply Steve,

I have the bolck policy as the first policy from untrust to trust so that it "should" hit that, but it isn't.  It hits the SMTP MIP policy that is number 4 in the policy order.

I manage about 6000 5GT's and SSG5, and JNCIA, but this one doesn't seem to want to follow the rules for some reason

• 4.  RE: NS5GT not blocking traffic
    Best Answer

Posted 04-28-2010 15:01

Interesting issue.

I found this kb  10891 that may be your answer.

Summary:
    'Deny' all policy above MIP 'permit' policy does not drop the packets to the MIP address

Symptoms & Errors:

• How to block traffic to a MIP address
    • How to use policy to block the traffic which has the destination to a MIP address on the firewall
    • Configuring a policy to deny traffic to any MIP
    • Deny Policy above MIP permit policy does not prevent traffic to the MIP policy
    • Deny Policy above MIP access policy is not blocking MIP traffic
    • Normal Deny Policy, 'set policy from zone1 to zone2 source-ip dest-ip service DENY' does not take the action for traffic that has the MIP as the destination

• 5.  RE: NS5GT not blocking traffic

Posted 04-28-2010 15:19

I guess maybe I either wasn't patient enough, but it did start blocking after I set the MIP as the destination earlier today, just wasn't showing in the logs.

Thanks for the KB though!