Screen OS

last person joined: 8 months ago 

This is a legacy community with limited Juniper monitoring.
  • 1.  Netscreen 50 added Wireless Router

Posted 08-19-2013 03:40

hi guys, i had a NS-50 on my environment.

I had this issue, i added a wireless router with a new subnet address.

LAN: 192.168.1.0 network

WLAN: 192.168.2.0 network

From wireless LAN, i can ping the addresses on the wired LAN

But wired LAN is unable to ping devices on the wireless network

is there a way to add a routing policy on the NS-50 that if the wired devices ping the address of the wireless lan, it will be routed to the wireless router?

or what's the best solution for this?

Thanks for any input.

• 2.  RE: Netscreen 50 added Wireless Router
    Best Answer

Posted 08-19-2013 06:12

It sounds like you have a rull firewall/router behind your Netscreen for the wireless.  If that is the case you would need to permit inbound traffic on that wireless firewall to allow the ping access.

If you want the wireless to be accesible to netscreen subnets you should bet a WAP (wireless access point) instead of a router.  This could then be connected directly into your existing subnet for full access.

Or you could put this into a separate subnet and controll access on Netscreen policies.

For a separated guest wireless access I have a sample configuration posted.

http://forums.juniper.net/t5/Configuration-Library/ScreenOS-Configure-Guest-External-WAP-Segment/m-p/64151#M158

An example of inexpensive WAP devices see the Netgear WAG102.

http://netgear.com/business/products/access-points-wireless-controllers/access-points/WAG102.aspx

• 3.  RE: Netscreen 50 added Wireless Router

Posted 08-19-2013 18:39

hi spuluka, thanks for your valuable input.

yes you're right, I can use the netscreen and use policies to control the router.

but i had  already setup some devices like projector,   to this current config of the router.

as much as possible I just want to find a solution that wired devices should be able to access shared on the wireless network.

the thing that I don't understand,  i use one of the port on the switch (switch is connected to the Netscreen). then connect to the wireless router.

But the wired network, doesn't know this subnet. I thought everything was fine because wireless devices is able to connect to the wired network, what I didn't  think of is the other way around. Wired to wireless.

I was assuming that since the connection is taken from the wired network, wired network should be able to see the wireless subnet.

Please enlighten me guys, if i'm wrong with my understanding.

Thanks in advance.

Wireless router is EA2700 Linksys

• 4.  RE: Netscreen 50 added Wireless Router

Posted 08-19-2013 23:39

hi spuluka, got it already.

need to configure the router as bridge mode and it works fine. hope this will help someone also,one day.