ScreenOS Firewalls (NOT SRX)
Visitor
Edgerock

Netscreen 5GT Giving IP Address to Staticly set Server

Hi,

I have a Netscreen 5GT that is also setup to be our DHCP Server. It is trying to give one of my member servers an IP address even though the server only has one NIC card enabled and the IP address for that NIC is staticly set. It keeps assigning and then dropping the IP 5-20 seconds later. I noticed when I traced the MAC address it was trying to assign the IP to back to my server which has the staticly assigned IP.

I can't think of any reason this would happen unless there was some sort of conflict with the staticly set address trying ot be used by another device, which it isn't because the scope setup doesnt include anything near that in its range.

I'm looking to see what else could be causing this to happen, because it's in the log non-stop and it only started happening today and no significant network changes were made in the past few weeks.

Thanks in advance.

Mark Morency
Director, Information Systems
Distinguished Expert
Screenie

Re: Netscreen 5GT Giving IP Address to Staticly set Server

Could there be an duplicate arp address in your network?
best regards,

Screenie.
Juniper Ambassador,
JNCIA IDP AC WX JNCIS FW SSL JNCIP SEC ENT SP JNCI

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.
Visitor
Edgerock

I took a look into that first, there isn't anything else on the network using the IP of the server and I can still get to the server fine by that IP address.

Mark Morency
Director, Information Systems
Distinguished Expert
Screenie

Maybe debug dhcp helps?

best regards,

Screenie.
Juniper Ambassador,
JNCIA IDP AC WX JNCIS FW SSL JNCIP SEC ENT SP JNCI

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.
Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.