Screen OS

last person joined: 8 months ago 

This is a legacy community with limited Juniper monitoring.
  • 1.  Newbie question: How do I see traffic that isbeing blocked?

Posted 01-09-2010 17:29

I have an SSG-520M that I'm going to be using to replace a pair of OpenBSD firewalls, and I'm running into some conceptual difficulties as I try to configure it.

My first question is: How do I watch traffic to see what is being dropped? For example, I have a new application and it's not talking to a server in a different zone. I don't know what ports or traffic type it uses, so I need to see what it's trying to send. On my OpenBSD firewall I could use tcpdump on the pflog0 interface to see packets that were being blocked along with the rule that was blocking them; is there an equivalent function on the SSG firewall?

I see that I could log traffic if I used a DENY policy, but since denying traffic is the default I'm primarily setting up PERMIT policies instead, so my problem is that I need to know what type of traffic to permit.

• 2.  RE: Newbie question: How do I see traffic that isbeing blocked?
    Best Answer

Posted 01-09-2010 20:06

Hi,

Some people use the "deny" policy method and others use debug with flow filters.  For example, if you wanted to see what's being denied between client A in trust and server A in the DMZ, you could try:

set ff src-ip x.x.x.x dst-ip x.x.x.x

debug flow basic

clear db

<test>

undebug all

get db str

I typically like to set the console page to 0 and then dump the debug to a text file (so you can find "denied").  This is done using "set console page 0", then you can use putty to log or SecureCRT to copy, etc.

I hope this helps.

-John

• 3.  RE: Newbie question: How do I see traffic that isbeing blocked?

Posted 01-09-2010 20:22

Thanks, that's a big help. All I needed was a pointer in the right direction.