Screen OS

last person joined: 8 months ago 

This is a legacy community with limited Juniper monitoring.
  • 1.  No connection from Juniper to USRobotics 56k

Posted 07-21-2009 06:23
    I can not get the juniper to talk to my USrobotics 56k. Set the USR modem to 9600 thru the hyperterminal. ( I can dial and get a ring tone thru the hyperterminal) I set the Juniper to dial the number to the same setting as the HyperT . The switch on/off on the modem are set to 1 and 4 down and get nothing. no dail tone, ring nothing. Do you have any ideas?

I set the backup to serial 0/0 (AUX) enabled. I do not get what to put in the Init String. What I have in their now is from a Juniper manual AT&FS7=255S32=6? 

rookie1

• 2.  RE: No connection from Juniper to USRobotics 56k

Posted 07-21-2009 09:19

My guess would be cabling pinouts, which have dogged the finest engineers for the last 3 decades (thank you USB...)

How is your cable wired?

-Keith

• 3.  RE: No connection from Juniper to USRobotics 56k

Posted 07-21-2009 12:08

Ok, I'm out of AUX with the RJ-45 serial cable to the input of an RJ-45 -- DB25 pin are2,3,4,5,7,8,20. part#(74-0458-01, REV Ao) All other pins are missing.

what do I put in the Init-String in the Juniper under modem.

rookie1

• 4.  RE: No connection from Juniper to USRobotics 56k

Posted 07-24-2009 16:55

Hello, Rookie1.

1.  Just to confirm, you are configuring a serial backup interface right? (vs setting the firewall to be managed via the modem)

2.  Which firewall model do you have, and what ScreenOS version is it running?

3.  Which port do you have the modem connected to?

4.  If you specify the init-string given by the USR website, and then go to Network > Interfaces > serial0/0, and select the Test link, what happens?

5.  Can you include the output of the following command:

get config  | inc serial|monitor      (this commands displays lines in the config that contain the text 'serial' or 'monitor')

6. FYI...Link to Tech Docs, Concepts & Examples Guide Vol 12, and refer to Chapter 3 - ISP Failover and Dial Recovery

Regards,

Josine

Message Edited by PentinProcessor on 07-24-2009 04:59 PM

• 5.  RE: No connection from Juniper to USRobotics 56k

Posted 07-27-2009 08:32

Hello PentinProcessor,

Answers to the following questions,

1. yes, serial 0/0 (AUX) out with a RJ-45 to the USR 56K dailup. this is for backup.

2. SSG5

3.  serial 0/0 (AUX)

4. Hunting the Init-String.  I hope this is not the issue. the string has to be more than just AT&F......

6. Thanks for that resource

• 6.  RE: No connection from Juniper to USRobotics 56k

Posted 07-27-2009 14:17

Ok, I have it dailing now.  In the SSG5 Network>interface>edit>modem..   what is the check box Aux Enable for? I unchecked it and now it dails the 56k modem. go figure, the port 0/0 on the Juniper say AUX with a RJ-45 output.

rookie1

• 7.  RE: No connection from Juniper to USRobotics 56k
    Best Answer

Posted 07-27-2009 16:43

Thank you for the update.

The ScreenOS CLI Reference Guide has the following description for that option:
    set interface modem aux enable
    aux enable: Enables dial-in console management via the v.92 modem.

Do you also want to enable console management of the SSG via the modem?  If so, when you have it working, can you simply check the Aux box again and check what it reports when you click the Test link, under Network > Interfaces > Serial0/0 > ISP?

Regards,

Josine