ScreenOS Firewalls (NOT SRX)
Visitor
Funktopus

Port forwarding on Juniper SSG 20

Hello,

I'm new to these boards so please be gentle. In fact I'm fairly new to Juniper products alltogether. I love their stuff though so I'm embracing it a lot lately. Pretty soon I'm scoping to get initial certification in JNCIA so I can get familiar with the equipment - but for now I'm in the deep end as I need to set up some Juniper gear - and having some teething issues basically due to the poor knowledge of the product - so need some help from those in the know!

I've searched here and other sites - and found semi relevant info - however I think my situation may be a little unique.

I'm configuring 2* SSG 20s for a 2 site VPN setup - and I'm in the process of configuring the port forwards so that each site can rdp eachother etc etc. Simple enough.

The SSGs have been fitted with an adsl2/2+ A PIM each to accommodate the links at each site - here's where I *think* I may be having an issue.

Being a fair beginner to Juniper products - I'll try to explain my problem as best as I can.

I'm familiar with the VIP method - however I'm unable to see the VIP option on my adsl1 untrust interface - I do however see it on the bgroup0 trust interface - however I'm thinking this is the incorrect interface to configure VIPs for my requirements.

Reason I'm confused is that I use a 5GT at home - and I have configured VIPs quite easily on the untrust interface with no hassles, I created my custom service, setup my policy, chose the VIP as destination - off it went without a hitch.

The SSG20s are being configured offsite ready for deployment tomorrow - adsl interface is as yet not initialized - could this be why the VIP option is missing?

I'm thinking it has something to do with the PIM/dsl untrust interface configuration - although I accept I could be way off. I followed the manual and there's nothing really specific about the PIM install/config.

Any help or a point in the right direction would be handy. I'm waiting for my 1 day turnaround to activate Juniper support for these new SSGs hence I've posted for help here.

Look forward to some assistance.

Thanks

Nick

Trusted Contributor
dennish

Re: Port forwarding on Juniper SSG 20

I think you are pointing out your own issue indeed. You should configure the VIP on the adsl interface indeed, but for what i can recall an IP address is required on the interface before you can set VIP/MIPs.

I suppose you could do it with a temp dummy address and change it back to DHCP when deploying it.

Dennis

Visitor
Funktopus

Re: Port forwarding on Juniper SSG 20

The issue was indeed caused by the dsl interface not being initialized and having an IP at the time I configured the units.

Soon as I arrived onsite - connected the units and the interface established a connection with an IP address - the VIP option became available. The rest was reasonably easy to complete and the VPN is now simmering away nicely.

Thanks for your help.

Nick

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.