Screen OS

last person joined: 8 months ago 

This is a legacy community with limited Juniper monitoring.
  • 1.  Problems forwarding MIP to HOST IP in different subnet then TRUST Interface

Posted 12-17-2012 13:55

THIS HAS BEEN RESOLVED.  SEE MY LATEST POST....

I've seen a lot on this issue regarding the MIP being on a different subnet than the UNTRUST interface, but not when the host IP is on a different subnet than the TRUST interface.

We have a SSG-520 with firmware 6.1.0r7.  We are in the process of migrating our servers to a third party datacenter connected via a private WAN/MPLS.  One of those servers is our web server.  For years we've had an existing MIP forwarding to the web server.  We tested the migration of the server to another subnet over the weekend and updated the MIP host IP to reflect the new IP in the new subnet.  The problem is that we cannot establish a connection to the web server through the SSG-520 MIP.  Connection to the web server from 5 different subnets internally is fine, but for some reason it will not communicate from a public connection.

I see entries in the logs showing the creation of my HTTP connection, but after 21 or 22 seconds, a "Close Age-Out" log entry appears.

Working MIP Setup

Trust interface IP: 10.1.0.15/16

Host IP (web server):  10.1.0.126

Netmask:  255.255.255.255

Problematic MIP Setup

Trust Interface IP:  10.1.0.15/16 or /8

Host IP (web server):  10.0.0.126

Netmask:  255.255.255.255

There is already a destination entry for the 10.0.0.0/16 subnet.  All other traffic between subnets is working fine (10.0.x.x,10.1.x.x, 10.2.x.x, 10.3.x.x,10.5.x.x, and 10.7.x.x). 

We will be implementing a new dedicated firewall in the target subnet listed above (10.0.0.0) once all servers have been successfully migrated.  But until that time, I need to get the MIP working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Problems forwarding MIP to HOST IP in different subnet then TRUST Interface

Posted 12-17-2012 14:09

I forgot to mention that we normally just use the web GUI for modifications to the SSG-520, but I did go into the CLI and was able to ping the target IP in the new subnet (10.0.0.126).   I've also already created policies for servers in the 10.0.x.x subnet with success. 

• 3.  RE: Problems forwarding MIP to HOST IP in different subnet then TRUST Interface
    Best Answer

Posted 12-19-2012 10:38

This has been resolved...

Turned out that the hosting provider was blocking traffic from any source outside of our MPLS network.  I wish they had figured that out before I spent the majority of the weekend chasing my own tail.