ScreenOS Firewalls (NOT SRX)
Visitor
Elway

Problems sending email from an Exchange account - SSG5

Hi everyone,

First of all sorry and apologizes for the question, may be it is too easy, but I do not have an answer right now.

I hve prblems on sending and synchronize email with my ISP external Exchange account, I do have a SSg-5 WiFi tube with a simple any-any-any policies on Untrust and Trust areas, but still problems.

The verion of OS is 6.2

I will appreciate so much an answer or a place inside the technotes or forum with the answer.

Regards,

Jos 

Contributor
Cowgoesmoo

Re: Problems sending email from an Exchange account - SSG5

Not sure of exactly what your doing but the thing I always check when stuff is not going through when I expect it to is the ALG settings.

I am also a little more specific with my policies so that I can isolate the problem with trafic and log what its doing.

I also always have an Any Any Deny rule as the last one in every zone <--> zone area with logging on so I can make sure nothing is being blocked by accident.

Not sure how your doing your NAT or even what service your trying to access but that could also be an issue.

Contributor
fharoon

[ Edited ]

You need to tell more details about the problem for someone to tell you.

How is the NAT setup? 

What exactly is the error?

Can you telnet on the email port to the ISPs server?

Does email ever work to this ISP or others?

Regards

Farrukh Haroon

Message Edited by fharoon on 03-12-2009 11:33 AM
Visitor
Elway

Hi everyone,

Firs of all thanks for reading and trying to help me on this.

The real problem may I did not explain well. Got an SSG5 configured behind a VINE 1100 Router with all open ports and 8 PubIP.

The ALG ->Basic it is all marked less than PPTP.

When I open Microsoft Outlook 2007 it has sveral accounts 5 in POP3 wich is no problem on sending and receiving emails, and one Exchange account ( Server located on a Hosted Supplier outside my lan ).

My Exchange email account hangs a lot when trying to send emails, I do receive themofen one day later than it was sent by others to me, and etc, etc.

Problem should be easy to solve for all of you guys and it is in any cofing parameter inside my SSG5-WiFi. 

How is the NAT setup?

On ether0/0 DIP on incoming NAT to 3 public IP´s, on basics, route to Router IP

Does email ever work to this ISP or others?

Yes it does, am I sure is something stupid setup config in any place on my SSG5, I did.

When I do replace my SSG5 for a CheckPoint it works, when I get back to SSG5 don´t.

Again I do appreciate all your help and efforts, if need any more info about my config file I can post it to you so can have a clear and exact idea of my configuration setup.

Best, best regards,

Jose

Contributor
fharoon

Have you configured your outlook client to use RPC OVER HTTPS?

The issue could be related to a lot of things, misconfigured exchange server/client, DNS, ident, netbios, ALG etc.

Regards

Farrukh

Visitor
Elway

Hi Farruk,

Thanks for it, all the questions about RCP on Outlook Client cofiguration are Ok on the answers, everything is right configured on that side, as I explained before..., if I do change SSG5 for an Safe@Office500 from CheckPoint, it works perfect, so it must be something on the SSG configuration I have done.

I appreciate all your help on this.

Contributor
fharoon

As a first step, I would disable the anti-spam filter on both interfaces and check things out.

Regards

Farrukh

Visitor
Elway

Hi Farrukh,

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

Test as you suggested it is done, persist the problem.

Thanks

Elway

Visitor
Elway

Hi again,

Think I mentioned but just in case I didn´t. Only it happens with accounts that used HTTP or HTTPS, I mean, Outlook Exchange account and Hotmail, POP3 works perfect.

Jose

Visitor
Elway

Hi both,

Again thank you for all your help, the problem it is solved after thousands tries.

What it was?

Belive it or not, PAT on DIP uncheck PAT ( assume on my ISP Provider Router PAT is on ) and now it works fine everything.

Only one more question may you can help me out.

Do you know the best document you found to create a Dial-UP VPN connection using my LDAP Server for authentication?

Thank a lot for all

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.