Screen OS

last person joined: 8 months ago 

This is a legacy community with limited Juniper monitoring.
  • 1.  Question about policy rules

Posted 10-21-2012 19:37

EDIT: I fat-fingered one of the octets... 😛  sarab's debug statements allowed me to see just the packets involved. My basic understanding was not the problem, it was driver-error.

Hi

I am setting up an SSG 5 and wish to create a rule that will allow a few hosts from trusted to untrusted for a management interface into my bridged DSL modem's LAN. The deny works but the allow rule for a single IP does not. What is it am I doing wrong?

trust (NAT); untrust (NAT)

My policy list between trust and untrust started with:

set policy id 1 from "Trust" to "Untrust"  "Any" "Any" "ANY" permit

This allowed internet access for all my trusted zones and all trusted zone hosts can access my DSL modem's management interface (192.168.1.254). I'm currently only using one trusted zone but will be using others.

The deny rule works and is placed before "any any any permit".

set policy id 9 from "Trust" to "Untrust"  "Any" "192.168.1.252/30" "ANY" deny

The untrust interface definition is

set interface "bgroup3" zone "Untrust"

set interface bgroup3 ip 192.168.1.253/30
         set interface bgroup3 nat

The allow rule is what is not working if I have id 9 enabled. It is placed before policy id 9.

set policy id 10 from "Trust" to "Untrust"  "172.16.0.20/32" "192.168.1.252/30" "ANY" permit

Here are the policy entries in the configuration with successful policy verify:

set policy id 10 from "Trust" to "Untrust"  "172.16.0.20/32" "192.168.1.252/30" "ANY" permit

set policy id 10

exit

set policy id 9 from "Trust" to "Untrust"  "Any" "192.168.1.252/30" "ANY" deny

set policy id 9

exit

set policy id 1 from "Trust" to "Untrust"  "Any" "Any" "ANY" permit

set policy id 1

exit

• 2.  RE: Question about policy rules

Posted 10-21-2012 22:55

Hello,

If I understand correctly, your setup is as follows :

LAN -- (Trust) FW ( Untrust) --- Modem in bridged mode  -- ISP

In above case the PPPoE connection will be directly terminated on FW's untrust interface so

it will be assigned an IP automtically from ISP which won't be in the same subnet as the modem.

As per my understanding this is not policy issue rather you may not be able to manage the modem from LAN.

If there is a way , may be someone else can comment on this.

Regards

Sarab

• 3.  RE: Question about policy rules

Posted 10-22-2012 01:43

No, I can access my modem's management page without any problem. I can ping both my actual ISP-provided IP as well as the LAN side of my modem's management webpage.

The problem is the policy I've created doesn't work as I expected.

Thanks

• 4.  RE: Question about policy rules
    Best Answer

Posted 10-22-2012 02:29

Oh is it , you mean users from LAN are able to access the Modem if that deny policy isnt there ?

But how do they do that as IP for untrust interface which is connected to modem is diffrent then modems subnet ?

Anyway , you mean the permit policy is not taking effect and access is still denied any that 'Deny' policy.

Could you please collect the following debug for the traffic which should be permitted however is getting denied

set ff src-ip x.x.x.x dst-ip y.y.y.y

set ff src-ip y.y.y.y dst-ip x.x.x.x

clear db

debug flow basic

initiate the web session for modem

undebug all

get db st

• 5.  RE: Question about policy rules

Posted 10-23-2012 00:03

Well, this is certainly embarrassing. I fat-fingered one of the octets in my policy and while I was pasting the debug output and verifying everything, I corrected the policy and it now works as expected.

Thanks for all your help and patience.

Before I conclude this thread, I want to give a bit more information about my setup on how everything is working. My apologies for the confusion.

My modem is actually a router/modem with a 4-port switch with its WAN connection set to bridge mode. By defining two untrust zones, I'm able to connect two patch cables between the SSG to the modem's switch and I'm able to access the internet as well as the modem's management page on its LAN side.

• 6.  RE: Question about policy rules

Posted 10-23-2012 01:38

Ahh .. thts how you were able to manage the modem... Thanks for the info or else I would have kept wondering how you managed the modem.

Anyway I am glad that the issue is fixed 🙂