Screen OS

last person joined: 8 months ago 

This is a legacy community with limited Juniper monitoring.
  • 1.  Route-based dial up VPN into site-to-site VPN

Posted 01-30-2012 07:19
      |   view attached

Hi there,

I have a site to site route based VPN between my SSG 320 and client firewall and this is working fine.

We now have a requirement to be able to get into client subnet by using my SSG 320 as gateway.

To that means I have set up a route-based dial up VPN but I am unable to ping/RDP into clients subnet.

Network diagram:

NSR 10.1.1.1/24 <-> 172.16.10.0/24 SSG 320 10.232.226.40/29 <-> 10.175.0.0/24 Client Firewall.

I am using 2 interface tunnels (unnumbered). I am using Xauth, so I have added the new ip  pool (10.1.1.0/24) to policy and tunnel. I created an untr-2-untr policy (between ip pool and customer private subnet), enabling source NAT.

I have added a ff to the firewall between 10.1.1.1 (ip pool)and 10.175.0.0 (client subnet) but when I ping after successfully connecting the debug stays empty.

My question is what routing/policy am I missing? Does the client firewall need a route back to the ip pool 10.1.1.1? I was kind of hoping that when going through the SSG 320 the packet's IP would change.

Is there any guide to set this up as I looked everywhere on Kb and forums for the last couple of weeks, but apart from the advice to use route based vpn's instead of policy based I cannot see much else.

1.Route based Dial-up VPN set up identical to http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB15272

2. Route based LAN to LAN VPN set up like http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB14330

What I want to do is called a Back to back vpn I believe.

Please see cropped config

Attachment(s)

• 2.  RE: Route-based dial up VPN into site-to-site VPN

Posted 02-09-2012 03:48

Here's your problem:

set vpn "Dial Up xxx VPN" proxy-id local-ip 172.16.10.0/24 remote-ip 255.255.255.255/32 "ANY"

You only have your site's IP subnet (172.16.10.0/24) defined in the dial-up VPN proxy-id settings, so the client isn't even going to try to send packets to 10.175.0.0/24 down the tunnel. For this to work, you'll need to add a second proxy-id pair to your dial-up VPN definition.

If you're running ScreenOS 6.2 or lower, you'll need to either define a second dial-up VPN with 10.175.0.0/24 as the local proxy-id setting, or change to a policy-based VPN. If you're running ScreenOS 6.3, you can just add a second proxy-id pair to the existing VPN.

• 3.  RE: Route-based dial up VPN into site-to-site VPN

Posted 02-10-2012 11:42

Hi Spud,

Thank you for looking at my issue.

Yes you are correct the proxy-id was incorrect I had already changed it to 10.0.0.0 since everything in my network is in the 10.0.0.0/8 subnet.

Packets still get dropped however when reaching the client firewall and a DIP did not seem to work. I am working with jtac on the issue...

• 4.  RE: Route-based dial up VPN into site-to-site VPN
    Best Answer

Posted 02-13-2012 01:47
    Hi, FYI I got this issue fixed with the excellent help of jtac. Three issues: 1. Adapter had to be "preferred" in NSR client to be able to get ip address from IP pool. 2. Proxy id/subnet had to encompass both main site and branch networks 3. A DIP was required on intrazone untrust policy to fix client firewall dropping packets because they weren't NAT'd.