Screen OS

last person joined: 8 months ago 

This is a legacy community with limited Juniper monitoring.
Expand all | Collapse all

Routing subsystem not running on SRX 650 nodes after enabling chassis cluster?

• 1.  Routing subsystem not running on SRX 650 nodes after enabling chassis cluster?

Posted 04-01-2010 02:00

Hi

I want to enable chassis cluster on two srx 650 devices before I do any further configuration. I configured the root password and assigned ip addresses on both devices to interfaces ge-0/0/1 and ge-0/0/2. All the interfaces are on the same subnet, can I get the cluster to work like that?.What else do I have to configure to get the cluster to work? Backup router, gateway, routing? I ask this because when I enable the cluster("set chassis cluster cluster-id 1 node 0" and "set chassis cluster cluster-id 1 node 1") and boot the devices, the routing subsystem isn't running(it runs fine before enabling the chassis cluster) on either one of the devices. The only error I get from the boot is "HA control port cannot be configured", and nothing else. Shouldn't the routing subsystem be running on node0? Is there some way to get a more informative error message so that I could understand what is causing the error?

The guide for the srx 650 chassis clustering http://kb.juniper.net/KB15503 doesn't really give advice what should be configured before enabling the cluster so I'm pretty stuck with this, please advice.

• 2.  RE: Routing subsystem not running on SRX 650 nodes after enabling chassis cluster?

Posted 04-01-2010 02:10

You don't need to configure anything, just follow the instruction in KB15503. The less you configure before, the better. You shouldn't configure ge-0/0/1 it will become fxp1.

• 3.  RE: Routing subsystem not running on SRX 650 nodes after enabling chassis cluster?

Posted 04-01-2010 03:30
      |   view attached

Thanks for your reply

I did a factory reset on both devices. After that I did only the initial configuration where I added the password and domain name, nothing else. After this I enabled the chassis cluste and here is what I got after the reboot:
    Interface control process: [edit interfaces]
    Interface control process:   'ge-0/0/1'
    Interface control process:      HA control port cannot be configured
    The interfaces ge-0/0/0-3 are configured by default , I didn't touch them or anything else. The configuration file is attached, can you see what is wrong with it?

Attachment(s)

txt
    config.txt   5 KB 1 version

• 4.  RE: Routing subsystem not running on SRX 650 nodes after enabling chassis cluster?

Posted 04-01-2010 04:23

Make sure you did the following :

1-load factory-default

2-set system root-authentication plain-text-password ( then press enter & enter the password )

3-Now , may be by default some configuration are added at interface ge-0/0/3  , delete it using the following :

delete interfaces ge-0/0/3 unit 0

commit

• 5.  RE: Routing subsystem not running on SRX 650 nodes after enabling chassis cluster?

Posted 04-01-2010 04:51

error..

Interface ge-0/0/3.0 must be configured under interfaces

I can delete the default ip address from the interfaces, but that didn't help either, same errors.

• 6.  RE: Routing subsystem not running on SRX 650 nodes after enabling chassis cluster?

Posted 04-01-2010 06:05

you said that you deleted the ip from interface ge-0/0/03

now do the following :

set interfaces ge-0/0/3 unit 0

commit

that should eliminate the error

• 7.  RE: Routing subsystem not running on SRX 650 nodes after enabling chassis cluster?

Posted 04-01-2010 09:26

Actually, the command delete interfaces ge-0/0/3 unit 0 gives an error, so I wasn't even able to commit the configuration. However if i run the command delete interfaces ge-0/0/3 unit 0 family inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/xx I should end up in the same situation, right? that didn't help, I still get the error. I think the problem has something to do with the ge-0/0/1 interfaces because the error states it cannot be configure as control port. Ideas anyone?

• 8.  RE: Routing subsystem not running on SRX 650 nodes after enabling chassis cluster?

Posted 04-01-2010 20:09

What about the whole dhcp section of the configuration file, would deleting that help? This problem can't be this difficult, someone please point out what I'm doing wrong.

• 9.  RE: Routing subsystem not running on SRX 650 nodes after enabling chassis cluster?

Posted 04-03-2010 05:37

after you load the factory default & put the password  & commit , paste the configuration here

• 10.  RE: Routing subsystem not running on SRX 650 nodes after enabling chassis cluster?

Posted 04-03-2010 05:39

Also please paste the conf steps you are doing  till you reach the error

• 11.  RE: Routing subsystem not running on SRX 650 nodes after enabling chassis cluster?

Posted 04-04-2010 05:09

After that I deleted the two name servers that were there by default:

delete system name-server 208.67.222.222

delete system name-server 208.67.220.222

commit

then I went to the operational mode and ran the command

set chassis cluster cluster-id 1 node 0 reboot

and on the other device:

set chassis cluster cluster-id 1 node 1 reboot

after the reboot i get the error "Ha control port cannot be configured"

• 12.  RE: Routing subsystem not running on SRX 650 nodes after enabling chassis cluster?
    Best Answer

Posted 04-04-2010 07:09

At SRX 650 , the control link is ge-0/0/1

So the error tells that  : ge-0/0/1 cannot be configured ( because it should be used as control link )

So , you should remove ge-0/0/1 from any parts at the configuration before applying the Cluster command & rebooting :

delete system services web-management http interface ge-0/0/1

delete system services web-management https system-generated-certificaste  interface ge-0/0/1

delete interfaces ge-0/0/1 unit 0 family inet

delete zones security-zone trust interface ge-0/0/1

• 13.  RE: Routing subsystem not running on SRX 650 nodes after enabling chassis cluster?

Posted 04-05-2010 01:17

I ran these commands:

delete system services web-management http interface ge-0/0/1
    delete system services web-management https interface ge-0/0/1
    delete interfaces ge-0/0/1 unit 0 family inet
    delete security zones security-zone trust interfaces ge-0/0/1

(same for the ge-0/0/2 interface)

After this I deleted the dhcp pools and I was able to delete the ge-0/0/1-2 interfaces

Then I enabled the cluster and it finally works! Thank you very much.

• 14.  RE: Routing subsystem not running on SRX 650 nodes after enabling chassis cluster?

Posted 04-04-2010 04:54
      |   view attached

The config file after loading factory-default and setting the password is attached 

Attachment(s)

txt
    juniper.conf.txt   4 KB 1 version