Screen OS

last person joined: 8 months ago 

This is a legacy community with limited Juniper monitoring.
  • 1.  SNMP Issues - Juniper SSG ScreenOS

Posted 11-26-2015 15:06

Hi all,

I'm having some issues pulling MIB data from a set of hosts.  I've tried several hosts and several different community names without much luck.  I have a similar setup on a seperate firewall which is working flawlessly so this one has me puzzled.

In the events logs, I see the SNMP request being received:

SNMP request from an unknown SNMP community xxx at 10.x.x.x has been received

The community name and host matches as per the SNMP request.

I'm not sure why it says unknown SNMP community.  The other firewall which pulls successfully also gives the exact same message in the log file so I didn't become too worries about it and the community names match 100%.

I pulled up NSM and did a quick query for the source host and I'm not seeing any policy denys.  I may start getting in to debugs, etc.   I was wondering what next step suggestions are out there?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: SNMP Issues - Juniper SSG ScreenOS

Posted 11-26-2015 22:56

Hi,

Here's an example. Community name is MRTG and the host I allow query from is 192.168.100.100. SNMP is enabled in interface ethernet0/9.1 which is management in my case so it cant be reached from internet or other untrusted interface.

set snmp community "MRTG" Read-Only Trap-on traffic version v1  
    set snmp host "MRTG" 192.168.100.100/32 src-interface ethernet0/9.1  trap v1
    set snmp port listen 161

set interface ethernet0/9.1 ip manageable

set interface ethernet0/9.1 manage snmp

If you have manager-ip setting enforced you also need to allow the host there.

set admin manager-ip 192.168.100.100 255.255.255.255

If you are satisfied with the answer, please click "Accepted as Solution". Kudos also welcome!

• 3.  RE: SNMP Issues - Juniper SSG ScreenOS
    Best Answer

Posted 11-27-2015 06:32

Turns out it was hardware failure on one of the links.  Thanks.