Screen OS

last person joined: 8 months ago 

This is a legacy community with limited Juniper monitoring.
  • 1.  SSG-320M - GUI vs CLI

Posted 01-12-2010 13:31

Hi all, noob here 😞

Started a new job and been given access to GUI.

Can everything that needs to be done in terms of monitoring and making changes be done from GUI?

btw - what is the difference between ScreenOS and JUNOS. The term 'ScreenOS', would suggest GUI, however, the docs which I found today on NAT suggested that ScreenOS was actually CLI?

I've got this wrong isn't it?

This all came about because I was asked to look into external facing NAT fules for SFTP. I think it's called a MIP icrc. Anyway I finally got to it but only via the help pages 😞

(still can't get to the same page though from network/interfaces...

Any direction would be appreciated and i've been a ciscokid for most of my life in networks.

tia

anawaz

• 2.  RE: SSG-320M - GUI vs CLI
    Best Answer

Posted 01-13-2010 07:48

JUNOS and ScreenOS are two completely unrelated operating systems. JUNOS is the original OS developed by Juniper for high end Internet backbone routers that has evolved, over time to be full scale router-firewall-UTM OS.

ScreenOS was aquired by Juniper when they bought Netscreen. It is an awesome operating system and is in some ways still more feature rich as a firewall OS than JUNOS currently is. JUNOS is the long term future (personal opinion as a reseller).

You can very easily manage 99% of your ScreenOS boxes from the GUI. If you don't know ScreenOS go GUI in my opinion. For what it is worth I have the reverse opinion on JUNOS. I never use the GUI (though I hear that 10.1 is pretty darn good).

And yes, you most certainly should be able to setup a MIP through the GUI. Network / Interfaces / Interface / MIP.

• 3.  RE: SSG-320M - GUI vs CLI

Posted 01-15-2010 09:21

thanks for that. and the GUI is known as WebUI

is this right?

tx - anawaz

• 4.  RE: SSG-320M - GUI vs CLI

Posted 01-15-2010 09:55

Yes, WebUI standing for Web User Interface.