Screen OS

last person joined: 8 months ago 

This is a legacy community with limited Juniper monitoring.
  • 1.  SSG EOS end of sales

Posted 12-06-2012 06:59

I reviewed the NFR products  2012 and i didnt find the SSG.

Does any knows if the SSG products will be EOS soon?

We have many customers requesting VPN and i dont know if offer SSG or SRX.

Thanks your help

any comment will be apreciate

Victor

• 2.  RE: SSG EOS end of sales

Posted 12-06-2012 07:17

Hi,

You might find these links helpful: 

EOD Netscreen HW - http://www.juniper.net/support/eol/ns_hw.html

EOL ScreenOS - http://www.juniper.net/support/eol/screenos.html

Below is a link to thread "SSG vs SRX". It has most of the pros and cons.

http://forums.juniper.net/t5/SRX-Services-Gateway/SSG-vs-SRX/td-p/31111

• 3.  RE: SSG EOS end of sales
    Best Answer

Posted 12-09-2012 03:15

When a product is not yet listed on the EOL notifications you get at least 4 1/2 years if the notice is posted immediately after purchase.  Also any service plans purchased prior to EOL are honored so if it is at all a concern you can pre-purchase the multi year J-care for what the business would like as the life of the equipment as a safegard.

I would assume that the SSG is no longer on the NFR list because Juniper does not want ot encourage their use and gently push partners to the SRX option.

I would use the SSG if they are an existing ScreenOS shop and not ready to make the jump to Junos.  Or if they have a network application needing a ScreenOS feature that has not yet ported into Junos.  Those are getting rarer these days.

Otherwise the SRX is obviously the primary platform going forward for the long haul.

• 4.  RE: SSG EOS end of sales

Posted 01-12-2013 19:01

thanks your help.

The question was because i listened and read "nightmare stories" about SRX from customers in this forum.

We have customer requiring IDP from Juniper and i would like to know if SRX is working fine today (2013).

I read the last IPS Gartner evaluation and the Juniper Networks were the worst tests but the accuracy of IPS signatures are not a problem, i read many nightmare stories about funcionality in this forums about SRX, is SRX improved?

WE have installed succesfully near 60 UTM/FW/IPS from other brands and we wouldnt have troubles. I oppened a ticket about simple issue in SSG5 (NFR unit purchased for test) and wasnt solve, 3 years ago.

Are SRX service improved from that date?

Thanks your comments

Victor

• 5.  RE: SSG EOS end of sales

Posted 01-13-2013 14:40

Unfortunately, I can't be of much help on this topic.  I have not had any direct experience with any of the IDP/IPS platform implementations from any vendor. 

I've only learned the features in the lab to pass the tests.  But I'm strictly on the firewall and routing side of the implementation stream.