Screen OS

last person joined: 8 months ago 

This is a legacy community with limited Juniper monitoring.
  • 1.  SSG5 ScreenOS update failed (unit continuously reboots)

Posted 01-09-2017 11:33

I have an SSG-5-SH that was running ScreenOS firmware version 6.1.0r2.0. Everything else was working but I wasn't able to see the menu on the left side of the screen using WebUI so I thought I would try to update the firmware.

I updated the certificate key with a new imagekey.cer downloaded from Juniper website. Then I updated the boot loader to V132. So far so good. I updated the firmware to version 6.3.0r23 downloaded from the Juniper website. When it boots it gets to "System change state to active(1)" and then it crashes, dumps and reboots (over and over).

I tried various revisions of 6.3.0 and even 6.2.0r19 that is available for download on the website.

Does anyone know where I can download an old version 6.1.0r2.0 to roll back to the version that was working? 

Or other suggestions?

Thanks. 

• 2.  RE: SSG5 ScreenOS update failed (unit continuously reboots)

Posted 01-09-2017 16:21

If you have an account with JTAC you can request no longer posted versions of ScreenOS.  But with the update of the key you probably won't be able to boot the old versions now either.

Do you get the loader prompt?  If so, you can try the TFTP install process to try to recover that way.

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB5519

• 3.  RE: SSG5 ScreenOS update failed (unit continuously reboots)

Posted 01-11-2017 12:57

Hi SPULUKA, thanks for your advice.

Juniper won't renew support for this device since it's too old (EOL).

Yes, I get to the loader prompt and I can upload versions using TFTP. That's how I uploaded and tried various versions of ScreenOS. 

I would like to get the older version of the ScreenOS to try, but it looks like Juniper doesn't support it any more.

I was hoping someone would have an old saved version they could provide to me.  

• 4.  RE: SSG5 ScreenOS update failed (unit continuously reboots)

Posted 01-11-2017 13:35

These devices are still supported until 2020.  You should be able to download the file from the link I provided above as long as you have an account on the Juniper site.

• 5.  RE: SSG5 ScreenOS update failed (unit continuously reboots)

Posted 01-11-2017 14:30

Hi RSEIBERT. Thank you for your post. That fixed it!!!!

The link you provided worked. I was able to download the "error fix" version of ScreenOS and flash it into my unit. 

It booted up without the crash, dump, reboot loop. It got to a point where i just kept saying "check_for_flash_write: Num_to_be_flashed 0" over and over, but I hit enter and logged on fine. 

Then I was able to upload and flash the latest and greatest version of the firmware and it is working now.

THANK YOU. THANK YOU. THANK YOU!!!

• 6.  RE: SSG5 ScreenOS update failed (unit continuously reboots)

Posted 01-11-2017 14:35

Not a problem.  Please mark this as solved, and kudos are apprieciated.

• 7.  RE: SSG5 ScreenOS update failed (unit continuously reboots)
    Best Answer

Posted 01-10-2017 09:17

Sounds like a known issue.  Download the following version of firmware, interrupt the boot process, load the image via TFTP, let it boot, then upgrade to 6.3r23.

https://download.juniper.net/software/firewall/ssg5ssg20.6.2.0r4-ef2.0

#solution