Screen OS

last person joined: 8 months ago 

This is a legacy community with limited Juniper monitoring.
  • 1.  SSG5 - cannot access DMZ from trust zone

Posted 04-07-2014 01:12
      |   view attached

Hello,

I am trying to implement the simple network below:

(Untrust 0/0)ADSL -----------> SSG5 -----------> (Trust in 0/2 and 0/3) WAP + Ethernet

|-----------> (DMZ in 0/1) Blog Server

The configuration file is attached below. Please note that the IP Addresses are masked as follow:

Untrust zone: retrieve IP from provider (A.D.S.L/24)

DNS addresses are retrieved from provider (ADSL.D.N.S1 and ADSL.D.N.S2)

DMZ: gateway is a static address (Gateway.D.M.Z/24)

Blog server is a static address (Blog.S.T.C/24)

Trust: SSG5 gateway (Gateway.S.T.C/24)

WAP gateway is a static address (WPA.S.T.C/24)

DHCP dynamic addresses range (start: Trust.S.T.R , end: Trust.E.N.D - note that the gateway addresses are not included in this range)

3 policies are in the following order:

- from DMZ (blog server only) to Untrust: any

- from Trust to DMZ (blog server only): any

- from Trust to Untrust: any

Here is the behaviour:

1- Trust-Untrust configuration is Ok

2- Trust-DMZ configuration is NOK: I can ping the Blog server but I cannot HTTP in (connection reset message in browser, SSG5 signals Close Age for the request)

3- DMZ-Untrust configuration is NOK: I can't ping an internet IP address (SSG5 signals close Age for the request)

Here is what I have done until now:

- read different documentations (knowledge base, official screenOS configuration guide) and tried out configurations: at best I keep the same behaviour. At worst, I lose all connection to Untrust.

- updated the firmware twice (from original 5.4.0r2 to 6.3.0r16a via 5.4.0r16): no modification to behaviour.

For the moment, I am stumped. There is certainly something I fundamentally don't understand.

Can anybody tell me how to:

1- connect Trust zone to DMZ so that  I can test HTTP connections (additional info, BLOG server is correctly parametered since it was tested in Trust Zone before being moved in DMZ)

2- connect DMZ to Untrust so that I can download system upgrades on the web server

Thanks in advance.

red.

#SSG5

Attachment(s)

txt
    diffus_SSG5_cfgv2.txt   4 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: SSG5 - cannot access DMZ from trust zone

Posted 04-07-2014 08:11

hi,

pleasemake sure your policy zone-to-zone policy permit all application n services first.

• 3.  RE: SSG5 - cannot access DMZ from trust zone

Posted 04-07-2014 09:24
    Hi,
    Tanks for your swift answer. I checked the policies. They are correctly defined and allow traffic for all ports (parameter ANY in services).
    Logging in policy regarding trust to DMZ show TCP-RST closing reason for HTTP requests.
    Pinging the dmz from Trust and SSH communication pose no problem though.
    Any idea ?
    Red

• 4.  RE: SSG5 - cannot access DMZ from trust zone
    Best Answer

Posted 04-08-2014 11:59

Ok.

I finally found out why the policy was not efficient for http. It was my test suite that had an error and was not pointing to the correct port.

It all works now.

Solved.