Screen OS

last person joined: 8 months ago 

This is a legacy community with limited Juniper monitoring.
  • 1.  ScreenOS upgrade that never completes

Posted 08-20-2010 11:39

I've had several instances where I have upgraded ScreenOS  (v6.2 and 6.3) via the gui and nothing ever happens.

basically the gui says sending but never logs out or reboots

I'm not jumping a lot of versions ie 6.2r1 to 6.3 r3

Is there a cli command that I can look at that shows the upgrade process?

thx!

beags

• 2.  RE: ScreenOS upgrade that never completes

Posted 08-20-2010 15:56

Hi there

Yes. You can connect via the console ports and follow through the upgrade using CLI. This method provides a means to see the file transfer being copied to the various places on the system.

Personally I prefer the CLI as it makes me feel more in control when carrying out tasks such as bootloader or ScreenOS upgrade.

In terms of your upgrade, esnure that you have the correct bootloader version as this can sometimes cause issues. The CLI upgrade procedure is documented here:

http://kb.juniper.net/index?page=content&id=KB13672&pmv=print

hth

• 3.  RE: ScreenOS upgrade that never completes

Posted 09-06-2010 05:22

thx for the reply!

i like the cli as well

i was looking for a process stat that i could look for, i remember w/ other vendor  doing a -ps to look at processes and i could tell if the upgrade was still going on.

is there anything similiar to -ps command?

thx agian!

• 4.  RE: ScreenOS upgrade that never completes

Posted 09-07-2010 05:31
    The upgrade is not so much an installation process, as with JunOS, as it is a matter of transferring the firmware image to the device and saving it to its NVRAM. If you complete this via console (for instance, after a 'save soft from tftp x.x.x.x firmware to flash, as described in the release notes) you will see the firmware download complete, and then burn to the nvram as denoted by a series of ++++ symbols. From there your only choice is to reset the device and watch it come up.

• 5.  RE: ScreenOS upgrade that never completes
    Best Answer

Posted 09-07-2010 10:03

I had a similar problem before with a 5GT.  I ended up doing the upgrade via a TFTP server and then it worked fine.  I only had that problem with 1 5GT which was the same model and specs as several others that worked fine when upgrading the OS through the webUI.

• 6.  RE: ScreenOS upgrade that never completes

Posted 09-21-2010 03:33

Ok,  got it  !!!!!!

thx all!!