Screen OS

last person joined: 8 months ago 

This is a legacy community with limited Juniper monitoring.
  • 1.  Set application ignore on policy from command line (without knowing policy id)

Posted 02-28-2014 06:03

Is it possible to set 'application ignore'  on a policy without knowing the policy id? I want to write a script that creates cofigs but I can't set this without knowing what policy ID will be used. I know it's possible to set the policy id manually when creating the policy but I would prefer to not do that.

Example, this is how it's normally done:

set policy from zone1 to zone2 network-A Network-B SQL permit
    policy id = 34
    set policy id 34 application "IGNORE"

Ideally it would be good to be able to put it all on one line for example:

set policy from zone1 to zone2 network-A Network-B SQL permit application ignore (which isn't possible)

Thanks

Mark

• 2.  RE: Set application ignore on policy from command line (without knowing policy id)
    Best Answer

Posted 02-28-2014 13:37

Unfortunately, this is not a parameter permitted on the inital policy line.  You can see the allowed options by adding the ? after permit.

ScreenOS does reply with the new policy number when it is created.

and you have identified the work around to set the policy id manually.

• 3.  RE: Set application ignore on policy from command line (without knowing policy id)

Posted 03-03-2014 01:56

Thanks for the answer, that's unfortunate. I wonder why it's like that, doesn't make a lot of sense.

• 4.  RE: Set application ignore on policy from command line (without knowing policy id)

Posted 03-03-2014 04:56

ScreenOS is not really designed for automation the way Junos is.

When you use NSM, what policy manager does to keep track of this is keep a database of the current policy set.   This way it knows what the next available id numbers are and manages them when it sends the bulk cli updates.

If your program has access to a database you could do something similiar.