Screen OS

last person joined: 8 months ago 

This is a legacy community with limited Juniper monitoring.
  • 1.  Traffic Shaping 101

Posted 10-15-2014 09:41

We've never really had the need before to utilize traffic shaping but recently, we've been having issues with users' RDP connections dropping randomly throughout the day whenever internet bandwidth usage gets too heavy. So I was thinking this would be a good solution. I was wondering if it would be as simple as to set a policy for the RDP application service at the top for all incoming RDP requests and setting an appropriate guaranteed and max bandwidth (and maybe priority) in the policy. Anyone have any suggestions? We are a hub and spoke using route based VPN tunnels and I am going to be making the change at our hub (where everything is centralized). I'm just afraid of screwing something up and having a lot of angry users come at me with torches and pitchforks so I thought I'd ask for suggestions from the experts first. 🙂

• 2.  RE: Traffic Shaping 101
    Best Answer

Posted 10-15-2014 09:45

I would also set the ingress and egress interface speeds as well.  Also, any traffic that does not match the policies with traffic shaping will be placed into the lowest queue.  Other than that, sounds good.

• 3.  RE: Traffic Shaping 101

Posted 10-15-2014 09:46

Gotcha, gonna give it a shot!

• 4.  RE: Traffic Shaping 101

Posted 10-15-2014 09:52

Oh, I forgot to ask, since I am using unnumbered interfaces for the route based VPNs, do I need to set the Egress and Ingress maxes and guarantess on all of the individual unnumbered interfaces or just on the physical internet facing interface, or both?

• 5.  RE: Traffic Shaping 101

Posted 10-15-2014 09:56

Idealy both the tunnel interfaces and physical.  Minimum would be the physical GW interface (ISP facing).