Screen OS

last person joined: 8 months ago 

This is a legacy community with limited Juniper monitoring.
  • 1.  Traffic Shaping on SSG550M

Posted 07-29-2009 06:48

Am having some problems with turning on traffic shaping on a virtual interface.

1) Can one enable shaping on a virtual interface ? I know before it was done only on physical interfaces.Running 6.0 code.

2) I got two interfaces on the same zone will that be a problem as well ?

Am using a multilink interface

set int ml1 bandwidth egress mbw 3088 ingress mbw 3088

set int ml1.1 bandwidth egress gbw 768 mbw 800 ingress mbw 800

Once traffic shaping mode is turn on I start seeing problems.

• 2.  RE: Traffic Shaping on SSG550M

Posted 07-29-2009 09:56

How much traffic are you sending through the firewall?

What is the CPU before and after enabling traffic shaping?

• 3.  RE: Traffic Shaping on SSG550M

Posted 07-29-2009 10:10

Its a 2 T1 link and not lot of traffic going though it.

I never saw CPU above 40 percent.

Am looking at Juniper Tech pubs about shaping on virtual interfaces.Its says virtual links refers only to tunnels and subinterfaces and not to aggregate and VSIs. Am using a mulltilink FR,  and have subinterfaces on ml interfaces.Does that mean multillink doesn't meet the qualification of virtual interfaces ?

• 4.  RE: Traffic Shaping on SSG550M

Posted 07-31-2009 08:51

Hi Petus, traffic shaping on ML should work.

You can also give a try to not using ML and configuring the 2 serial interfaces for load balancing via ECMP and then apply traffic shaping.

• 5.  RE: Traffic Shaping on SSG550M

Posted 08-20-2009 12:27

Thanks Ceasar.

Unfortunately, its not working.What I realized is when I set bandwidth statements on even physical interfaces like ethernet and "set traffic-shaping mode on" I start seeing some applications timing out, even TCP based apps. When I set " set traffic-shaping mode auto" then the problem goes away. With shaping mode set to "auto" will shaping work on interface based traffic shaping ?

• 6.  RE: Traffic Shaping on SSG550M

Posted 08-20-2009 14:14

"set traffic-shaping mode auto" This allows the system to turn on traffic shaping when
    an access policy requires it, and turn off traffic shaping when policies do not require it.

Use the command  "get traffic-shaping mode"  to determine whether Traffic Shaping is enabled.

Thanks

Atif

• 7.  RE: Traffic Shaping on SSG550M

Posted 08-21-2009 10:30

get traffic-shaping mode
    traffic shaping is set to auto by user
    traffic shaping is currently turned off by the system

This cause I have it set to auto. Once its set to mode "on" then you start seeing timeouts on apps.Once you have interface based traffic shaping I thought you had to set the mode to "on" The question why am seeing timeouts ?

• 8.  RE: Traffic Shaping on SSG550M
    Best Answer

Posted 10-07-2009 07:42

Shaping works on 6.1 and above on mulilimk interfaces.Anything below 6.1 won't work.