Screen OS

last person joined: 7 months ago 

This is a legacy community with limited Juniper monitoring.
Expand all | Collapse all

Windows 7 and Netscreen remote client

• 1.  Windows 7 and Netscreen remote client

Posted 04-24-2009 13:19
    Has anyone gotten the remote VPN client to work on windows 7?  We are looking at the OS and trying to get it to work.  Everything installs fine but it does not seem to install the safenet virtual adapter and the policy does nto show up on the client (there is nothing in the "connect to" option.

• 2.  RE: Windows 7 and Netscreen remote client
    Best Answer

Posted 04-25-2009 16:30
    Windows 7 is not supported ... I'm not even sure Safenet has a version that is compatible with Windows 7 yet.

• 3.  RE: Windows 7 and Netscreen remote client

Posted 04-29-2009 23:23

Not to mention Windows 7 itself is still in Beta. So I wouldn't expect Safenet to have a Windows 7 version yet.

-Richard

• 4.  RE: Windows 7 and Netscreen remote client

Posted 08-20-2009 07:07
    Windows 7 is not beta anymore.  You guys can be pro-active if you want - unless you think no one else is going to have a problem with this.

• 5.  RE: Windows 7 and Netscreen remote client

Posted 10-01-2009 08:57

tzappa, oldtimer has already answered this.

• 6.  RE: Windows 7 and Netscreen remote client

Posted 10-01-2009 16:59

Win7 RTM was released back in August for Microsoft Volume Licensing/Software Assurance customers

I'm not impressed with Juniper that NetScreen Client works with Vista  but _doesn't_ work in Windows 7.

I'm testing XP Mode to see if I can run Netscreen Client inside the virtual PC - so far can install it inside XP mode but it isn't appearing back in Windows 7.. There goes the connection to our shared drive for any laptop users...

One remaining option is ditch the NetScreen Client completely and use Direct Connect on 2008 R2 servers - a bit drastic, but if Juniper aren't going to help people I'm not left with many options at this stage..

Message Edited by DJMoz on 10-01-2009 05:00 PM

#netscreen
    #Client
    #Windows

• 7.  RE: Windows 7 and Netscreen remote client

Posted 10-02-2009 12:43

Any updates on this thread? We are looking to upgrade to Windows 7 but need our VPN functionality...

This thread should NOT be considered solved until there is a rough timeline around when NS remote will be Windows 7 capable.

Thanks

Message Edited by JMan12345 on 10-02-2009 03:18 PM

• 8.  RE: Windows 7 and Netscreen remote client

Posted 10-04-2009 14:59

I agree - this post should NOT be closed until a solution is available.

I've found out a bit more about running NetScreen Client 9 in XP Mode - will take much a large amount of work to test this:

1. Add a Loopback adapter to the host.
    2. Configure the Loopback adapter.
    3. Add a Virtual adapter to the guest.
    4. Configure the Virtual adapter.
    5. Disable Internet Connection Sharing and Firewall on the guest.
    6. Enable routing on the guest.
    7. Configure routing on the guest.
    8. Configure routing on the host.

someone has done this with another client - hoping this can be adapted for NetScreen Client in a similar manner - more details available from http://jmpstart.wordpress.com/2009/09/16/safenet_softremotelt_on_windows_7/

• 9.  RE: Windows 7 and Netscreen remote client

Posted 10-06-2009 12:37
    Not to mention that 64-bit XP and Vista aren't yet supported.

• 10.  RE: Windows 7 and Netscreen remote client

Posted 03-15-2010 12:54

So are juniper going to make a VPN client that supports windows 7?

the link below says it is unsupported and they have no plans to make a version that supports winodows 7... why????

http://kb.juniper.net/KB8343

will there be some other type of VPN client or are they just not doing it anymore?

• 11.  RE: Windows 7 and Netscreen remote client

Posted 03-30-2010 19:32

Given that Netscreen Remote is EOL (and was an OEM product anyway) the alternatives include Greenbow (www.thegreenbow.com) which works very well for us on all 32bit/64bit versions of Windows through Win7 (exclude XP 64bit). You can get an evaluation license from the site.

The other option for the the branch office SRX is the dynamic vpn client, it's early days for this but hopefully Juniper will continue to develop it into something really compelling.

• 12.  RE: Windows 7 and Netscreen remote client

Posted 04-02-2010 00:31

Shrew VPN client is the best options that you can use in Windows 7 (x64 and x86).

Works with Policy based and routing based VPN.

If you are using ScreenOS SW release 6.3 you can use one Phase 2 and multiple Proxy ID for routing based VPN.  On Shrew VPN client you  then only add all subentets to which you have to have access.

The other option is that you are using Junos Pulse or Dynamic VPn client on SRX devices.

cheers,

Miha

• 13.  RE: Windows 7 and Netscreen remote client

Posted 09-15-2009 11:59
    is there something news about a new release for Windows 7 ?

• 14.  RE: Windows 7 and Netscreen remote client

Posted 09-30-2009 15:25
    Any word yet on this?  Its been a pain the last few days trying to find out any news on this software so I am also wondering if it is even supported / sold anymore?  If there is someone from Juniper that sees this can they lok into is and let us know?  I have 5 users who want to use windows 7 and would need this installed.  I'd like to give them a concrete answer.

• 15.  RE: Windows 7 and Netscreen remote client

Posted 10-06-2009 13:13
    I dont suppose there is anyone from Juniper that could help out here?

• 16.  RE: Windows 7 and Netscreen remote client

Posted 11-10-2009 07:35

I think Juniper made it pretty clear in this KB article:

http://kb.juniper.net/index?page=content&id=KB8343&actp=RSS&smlogin=true

There are no plans to support NS-Remote on the following platforms; please consult NS-Remote Software Release Dates and Milestones for EOL information.

• Vista 64-bit
    • Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit OS Versions)
    • Windows NT4.0
    • Millennium / Windows ME
    • Windows 98
    • Windows 95
    • Linux
    • Apple/MAC

• 17.  RE: Windows 7 and Netscreen remote client

Posted 02-15-2010 20:03

Just wanted to drop a note here that someone has found a fix/workaround from the Microsoft Technet forums:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproappcompat/thread/cd9a1fee-64fd-48b7-983c-fc20245d7f49

1. Stop the Volume Shadow Copy service (VSS) (which prompt an error message when I tried to install the client)
    2. Install Juniper Client and ignore the error messages about the virtual adapter

3. Restart your PC
    4. If Microsoft IKE and IPSec services are running, stop them
    5. Import you Security Policy
    6. Startup the Service SafeNet IKE Service
    7. Connect to your network

This has worked for me but the only downside is that this doesn't resolve the issue with the safenet adapter not installing, so that means DNS will not function once connected to your VPN. You must access network resources using ip addresses. Also, you will need to start the Safenet IKE service after each reboot. I suggest that you should create a .bat file with the following cmd:

net start IreIKE

This is best for my needs since I only need my VPN access for remote desktop connections and not anything that relies on DNS. If you need DNS with your VPN activities I suggest installing a Win XP virtual machine to access your VPN.

• 18.  RE: Windows 7 and Netscreen remote client

Posted 02-26-2010 03:46

Hi,

this solution is working fine, is you don't want to start the service always manually or with batch, change the device startup method in device manager.

You have to set visible hidden devices, find the Safenet Ipsec Plugin change the startup from system to automatic.

It will works.

😄

Árpi

#solution
    #working
    #is
    #fine
    #s

• 19.  RE: Windows 7 and Netscreen remote client

Posted 11-10-2009 11:39

SAFENET say  that the roadmap for a new release SOFTREMOTE for Window 7 is Q1-2010.

But Netscreen-Remote (OEM) is end-of-sales at the end of this year.

• 20.  RE: Windows 7 and Netscreen remote client

Posted 02-16-2010 10:47

Windows 7 is certainly out and Juniper has announced EOL for Netscreen remote.  With that they stated they would not  support any 64 bit OS with a remote VPN client.

I have beenfrantically  trying Shrew soft but cannot get past Phase 1 errors.  Does anybody have any success stories with this client or any other client for Windows 64 bit OS or MAC OS?

Thanks in advance.

Mike Parsons

• 21.  RE: Windows 7 and Netscreen remote client

Posted 02-21-2010 02:49

I've installed Shrew on Windows 7 and it works fine. Although I didn't use Shrew's example on how to setup a VPN on my SSG. I just used the credentials from my NetScreen login and it works fine.

• 22.  RE: Windows 7 and Netscreen remote client

Posted 02-23-2010 04:21

Hi

i am unable to get my shrew client working, but i found a commerzial client. www.ncp-e.com this client i have got running.

Can you send me some screenshots?

regards

Chris