ScreenOS Firewalls (NOT SRX)
New User
mccssg20

Re: Windows 7 and Netscreen remote client

Not to mention that 64-bit XP and Vista aren't yet supported.
Contributor
JMan12345

I dont suppose there is anyone from Juniper that could help out here?

Kudos Appreciated :smileyhappy:
New User
michaelc

I think Juniper made it pretty clear in this KB article:

http://kb.juniper.net/index?page=content&id=KB8343&actp=RSS&smlogin=true

There are no plans to support NS-Remote on the following platforms; please consult NS-Remote Software Release Dates and Milestones for EOL information.

• Vista 64-bit
  • Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit OS Versions)
  • Windows NT4.0
  • Millennium / Windows ME
  • Windows 98
  • Windows 95
  • Linux
  • Apple/MAC
Visitor
Oliver-44LAN

SAFENET say  that the roadmap for a new release SOFTREMOTE for Window 7 is Q1-2010.

But Netscreen-Remote (OEM) is end-of-sales at the end of this year.

New User
spruleme

[ Edited ]

Just wanted to drop a note here that someone has found a fix/workaround from the Microsoft Technet forums:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproappcompat/thread/cd9a1fee-64fd-48b7-983c-fc2...

1. Stop the Volume Shadow Copy service (VSS) (which prompt an error message when I tried to install the client)
2. Install Juniper Client and ignore the error messages about the virtual adapter

3. Restart your PC
4. If Microsoft IKE and IPSec services are running, stop them
5. Import you Security Policy
6. Startup the Service SafeNet IKE Service
7. Connect to your network

This has worked for me but the only downside is that this doesn't resolve the issue with the safenet adapter not installing, so that means DNS will not function once connected to your VPN. You must access network resources using ip addresses. Also, you will need to start the Safenet IKE service after each reboot. I suggest that you should create a .bat file with the following cmd:

net start IreIKE

This is best for my needs since I only need my VPN access for remote desktop connections and not anything that relies on DNS. If you need DNS with your VPN activities I suggest installing a Win XP virtual machine to access your VPN.

New User
gmparsons

Windows 7 is certainly out and Juniper has announced EOL for Netscreen remote.  With that they stated they would not  support any 64 bit OS with a remote VPN client.

I have beenfrantically  trying Shrew soft but cannot get past Phase 1 errors.  Does anybody have any success stories with this client or any other client for Windows 64 bit OS or MAC OS?

Thanks in advance.

Mike Parsons

Contributor
panikos

I've installed Shrew on Windows 7 and it works fine. Although I didn't use Shrew's example on how to setup a VPN on my SSG. I just used the credentials from my NetScreen login and it works fine.

Contributor
queens69

Hi

i am unable to get my shrew client working, but i found a commerzial client. www.ncp-e.com this client i have got running.

Can you send me some screenshots?

regards

Chris

New User
hcarpi

Hi,

this solution is working fine, is you don't want to start the service always manually or with batch, change the device startup method in device manager.

You have to set visible hidden devices, find the Safenet Ipsec Plugin change the startup from system to automatic.

It will works.

:smileyvery-happy:

Árpi

Trusted Contributor
Luca

[ Edited ]

So are juniper going to make a VPN client that supports windows 7?

the link below says it is unsupported and they have no plans to make a version that supports winodows 7... why????

http://kb.juniper.net/KB8343

will there be some other type of VPN client or are they just not doing it anymore?

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.