ScreenOS Firewalls (NOT SRX)
jpb
Visitor
jpb

best software update path for ssg5

We've currently got an SSG5  running screenOS 5.4.0r3a.0 We're very behind as far as the OS is concerned and wanted to know what would be the best path towards upgrading the appliance. Would I pull down the latest version and upgrade from there? or do i need to do this incrementally? I can't have this appliance down for too long.

Thanks!

joe

Trusted Expert
Automate

Re: best software update path for ssg5

Per https://www.juniper.net/customers/csc/software/netscreen_versions.jsp the recommended version for the SSG5 is 6.2. 

However...I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". If you do call into JTAC with a 5.4 issue, they might only advise you to upgrade vs troubleshooting the issue. In which case you'd have a good excuse to do so. But upgrading for the sake of staying 'current' is not as big a deal for ScreenOS as it is for say Junos (where there is a limit to the number of releases you can jump).

HTH,

-Keith

Distinguished Expert
spuluka

If you do decide to upgrade you have three paths. 

1-You could just run up to the latest release of 5.4. 

The advantage here is very little changes so you don't have to learn anything new.  But you have the latest bug fixes in play on the device.

For this all you need to do is download the package and run the upgrade.

2-You could go to the JTAC recommendation of the latest release of 6.2

The advantages of this release is most of the new features but in the version that is deemed best for support by those who take the calls every day.

For this you need to confirm the bootloader version matches the requirements listed in the release notes.  Update if needed.

Then upgrade to the latest release of 5.4.

Then upgrade from there to the latest release of 6.2

3-You could go to the latest  release of 6.3 the latest OS

The advanatage here is the latest features.  I run this version on sites that can use the easy to configure multiple proxy id.  Also the more granual proxy arp at server sites is a good advantage.  Check the release notes and see what is new that you might put to good use.

For this you need to confirm the bootloader version matches the requirements listed in the release notes.  Update if needed.

Then upgrade to the latest release of 5.4.

Then upgrade from there to the latest release of 6.2

Steve Puluka BSEET
Juniper Ambassador
Senior Network Engineer - UPMC Pittsburgh, PA
JNCIA-ER JNCIA-EX JNCIS-SEC JNCIP-SEC
JNCIS-FWV JNCIS-SSL
MCP - Managing Server 2003 MCP - Windows XP Professional
MCTS Windows 7
http://puluka.com/home
jpb
Visitor
jpb

Thanks for the responses. I should clarify my question. Is there a preferable upgrade route meaning do I need to reach a certain patch level before I can install 6.4? Can I make the jump from 5.4 to 6.4 or do I need to install 6.1 - 6.3 before applying 6.4? due to the nature of this system, i need to have the appliance running the latest software and patches.
Distinguished Expert
spuluka

Sorry for cluttering the response, but I did address this.

The latestest version of ScreenOS is 6.3.

When moving from 5.4 to any 6.x version there ar two considerations.

1- check the bootloader version on your device against the release notes and upgrade this first if needed.

2-you need to be at a minimum level of 5.4 before the upgrade to any 6.x version.  I think it was R10 but jus upgrade to the latest 5.4 release first then do the upgrade to the 6.x release you want.

Steve Puluka BSEET
Juniper Ambassador
Senior Network Engineer - UPMC Pittsburgh, PA
JNCIA-ER JNCIA-EX JNCIS-SEC JNCIP-SEC
JNCIS-FWV JNCIS-SSL
MCP - Managing Server 2003 MCP - Windows XP Professional
MCTS Windows 7
http://puluka.com/home
Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.