Screen OS

last person joined: 8 months ago 

This is a legacy community with limited Juniper monitoring.
  • 1.  bgroup behavior and vlans

Posted 05-19-2015 13:55

Hello fellow humans, I have a question/situation:

We have two cabinets in a colo. We will call them cab1 and cab2. Currently, cab1 has a netscreen-520 and an ex4200. Cab2 has another ex4200. My plan was to create a bgroup and connect each switch to the bgroup so the switches could communicate, as opposed to connecting them with fiber directly to each-other. Both switches contain 4 vlans. My question: If the switch ports connected to the bgroup are trunk ports, will the netscreen pass the tags like a switch to the other switch connected to the bgroup, or will it still try to route the packets? The definition of a bgroup in documentation calls it "ethernet switching", so it sounds like it should pass them. I guess my next question would be is what configuration would I need to do on the bgroup to make them trunk ports on the netscreen side. Sub-if?

If I need to clarify, please let me know. Thank you in advance.

• 2.  RE: bgroup behavior and vlans
    Best Answer

Posted 05-19-2015 16:28

The bgroup is an ethernet bridge group.  And it does support creating sub-interfaces with vlan tag values.

For your design I would create the sub-interfaces on the bgroup with the matching tag from the switches.  This should allow all the traffic to flow as you want.

If you want the gateway for these vlans to be on the NS-520 then add the ip address to this sub-interface.

• 3.  RE: bgroup behavior and vlans

Posted 05-19-2015 17:14

Excellent. Thank you for that info, spuluka. That helps a ton.