Screen OS

last person joined: 9 months ago 

This is a legacy community with limited Juniper monitoring.
  • 1.  change operation mode ns5xp

Posted 01-30-2009 19:29
    im trying to help someone change the operation mode on their ns5xp. it is running screenOS 2.6.1r3.2 and is currently in transparent mode. he has tried reseting the device using the pinhole in the back and when doing the intial config via the webui, the option to set the interfaces to NAT or Route mode are not available. i havent used screen os 2.6 in ages so i cant put my finger on the exact way to change it. we both read the documentation but it does not clearly state how to accomplish this. any help would be greatly appreciated

• 2.  RE: change operation mode ns5xp

Posted 01-31-2009 21:58

Wow, 2.6.1 is really old software (2001). I haven't used that version before as that was before my time with Juniper. But in WebUI, there should be a checkbox for NAT or Route mode unless that wasn't supported on 5XP. Perhaps some of the oldtimers can respond to this one.

-Richard

• 3.  RE: change operation mode ns5xp
    Best Answer

Posted 02-02-2009 07:20

Hi Sanga,

This was the sotware we used when I joined NetScreen/Juniper. From searching my memory, I remember that the firewalls always used to come in transparent mode by default. This was changed at a JTAC request later on(since not many customers use transparent mode). To change it out of transparent mode, if I remember correctly, all you need to do is set the IP addresses on the interfaces.

This is before the concept of zones (introduced in ScreenOS 3.1), so it is literally just a matter of setting the addresses.

In current architecture, you would need to unbind the layer 2 zones, bind the layer 3 and set the IP addresses, so it is similar, but without the complication of zones.

I think what's confusing you is that it is in transparent mode by default, and today, we don't do that. Ignore that, add the IP addresses and the box should operate in NAT mode, and the option for ROUTE mode will become available.

Let me know if this helps, this was all a long time ago, but hopefully I'm remembering correctly.

Regards

Andy

• 4.  RE: change operation mode ns5xp

Posted 02-03-2009 09:26
    yes that verison of screenOS is way before my time as well. i was asked the question by a user who is just getting into juniper netscreens. they are using it at home and im sure it was a hand-me-down so they dont have access to screenOS updates. i will have them give it a try and hopefully it will solve their problem

• 5.  RE: change operation mode ns5xp

Posted 02-03-2009 15:42

Thanks for the info Andy, worked like a charm!!!!

Does anyone know where new versions of screenOS for the 5xp can be obatained. The user called juniper support but because the device has passed the EOL date, they will not even sell him a support contract for it. He is willing to go through the proper channels if there are any available. Juniper support pretty much told him to get lost!!

• 6.  RE: change operation mode ns5xp

Posted 02-04-2009 00:33

Hi Sanga,

Unfortunately there is no official way to get support on the 5xp anymore. It's not that JTAC refuse to support it, it's that no one at Juniper is developing or sustaining it or the software running on it, so JTAC can't support it.

As you mentioned, it's EOL, and the procedures related to that are here:

https://www.juniper.net/alerts/viewalert.jsp?actionBtn=Search&txtAlertNumber=PSN-2005-12-006&viewMode=view

Sorry not the be able to help more in this matter,

Andy

• 7.  RE: change operation mode ns5xp

Posted 02-04-2009 08:40
    I figured that would be the case, but had to ask just to make sure. thanks for all the help!!!