Screen OS

last person joined: 8 months ago 

This is a legacy community with limited Juniper monitoring.
  • 1.  cisco 6500 with ssg140 fiber connections

Posted 05-06-2011 12:05

Hello,

I was looking for a configuration template of fiber gig links between an ssg 140 with fiber modules and LC conenctors to a 6500. Both sides would be great or just the juniper side. Has anyone done this? I'm curious if there's anything strange that i should look out for or would it be as standard as if I was going cisco to cisco? I won't have the equipment in my hands long enough to lab out the exact setup, I'll use ssg20 with copper conenctions to lab out the rest of my requirements.

Design:

dual Fiber upstream conenctions terminating at  two cisco 6500 switches in VSS mode.

The firewall will be in transparent mode and servers terminating in the other ports.

thanks,

Marek

• 2.  RE: cisco 6500 with ssg140 fiber connections
    Best Answer

Posted 05-06-2011 12:44

Connecting with fiber doesn't really differ from copper, configurations are the same on the interfaces.  Nothing "strange" to worry about.

If your upstream switch is in VSS mode, then will you be running different VLANs across your two fiber uplinks?  How did you plan to make your connections?  SSG doesn't support aggregate interfaces, so you'll need to determine how to design your links.

• 3.  RE: cisco 6500 with ssg140 fiber connections

Posted 05-12-2011 13:20

thank you, good info. I'll keep it in mind and post when I decide and after implementation..

• 4.  RE: cisco 6500 with ssg140 fiber connections

Posted 05-12-2011 13:41

I was going to run the FW in transparant mode. So far I only tested my ssg20 with a single uplink, have planned to test with dual. Then i was going to make the uplinks the untrust v1 and the server ports trust v1. Now that I know I cant bundle those links my backup design may be to put a 3750 between the two devices. Well, atleat i found out before the implementaion...

do you have any suggestions?

thanks

• 5.  RE: cisco 6500 with ssg140 fiber connections

Posted 05-13-2011 12:01

@zxmarekxz wrote:

do you have any suggestions?

There are lots of ways to skin the proverbial cat.

If you can provide some more detailed information about what specifically you're looking to accomplish, we might be able to offer some suggestions.

A diagram with your proposed topology, how many networks you'll have in various places on different sides of the firewall, what kind of connectivity you need, requirements, etc.