Security & Mobility Now
Security is top-of-mind everywhere, especially right here where Juniper experts share their thoughts on the latest security breakthroughs and product advancements
JUNOSRob

AWS re:Invent (Day 2)

by Juniper Employee on ‎11-29-2012 10:37 AM

Leading up to the start of the keynote the screens showed tweets and quotes from customers and how they use or feel about the available AWS services. This highlighted the theme of the show that is “how our customers, customers like you, create success out of AWS”. The AWS morning opened with a bang as Andy Jassy, Sr VP of AWS, came onto the stage. The stage was simple in design but it offered three giant viewing screens. During the keynote Andy Jassy gave examples of how the AWS infrastructure has grown over the years and how by growing it benefits everyone using it. AWS over its years of operation has worked to reduce the costs of its services by scaling its infrastructure. He also stated that there were 6,000 attendees that came from over 60 countries. That is a wonderful amount of diversity.

One of this morning’s announcement was the reduction of the costs of the simple storage service (S3) by nearly 25%. This service is a low cost, high-speed method of being able to serve data to applications or directly to customers. This was exciting as its one of the most popular AWS services. Companies like Dropbox utilize S3 for the majority of its storage so users of the service could see a reduction of cost on their monthly bills as storage costs decline. S3 currently hosts about 1.4 trillion objects serving at 835,000 requests per second.

To further the theme of “how our customers” Andy invited several organizations on stage to discuss how they use AWS. The one that dropped jaws all over the room was NASA Jet Propulsion Labs and how AWS made the landing on Mars with the curiosity rover possible. A chief rocket scientist took us through the decent of the rover and how AWS was used. NASA also has several sessions to further expand on how they use AWS.

Security is the number one priority for AWS. This was the statement announced to the audience by Andy Jassy. I think it’s important to focus on this message. Since the “cloud” is this intangible concept it’s hard to feel that your assets are secure. He assured the audience that in any scenario that every AWS employee must take security as a top priority.

I attended a session in every time slot today. Each session follow the same formula: A product line manager (PLM) for the technology being discussed and customers that use the product. The PLM would give an overview of the technology to begin the session. There were three types of session a 100, 200, and 300 type. Depending on the number determined the difficulty of the presentation. I attended both 200 and 300 type sessions and I felt the PLMs gave a great introduction for the level. Once the PLM was completed with the discussion then the floor was turned over to the customer. The customer went over how they use that part of the technology. I think that the format was excellent as it provided a solid background to the product and a use case for how the technology is utilized.

Thursday is the last day for the event but it is filled with two keynote events. I am looking forward to the fireside chat with Jeff Bezos right after lunch. Overall I think the event is excellent and it is definitely worth making the trip.

Rob Cameron

Principal Engineer – Security Intelligence

@robWcam

Post a Comment
Be sure to enter a unique name. You can't reuse a name that's already in use.
Be sure to enter a unique email address. You can't reuse an email address that's already in use.
Type the characters you see in the picture above.Type the words you hear.
About Security & Mobility Now

Discussing a wide range of topics impacting enterprises and
data center security.

Subscribe RSS Icon

Our Bloggers

Kyle Adams
Senior Software Engineer

Profile | Subscribe

Ritesh Agrawal
Director
Software Engineering

Profile | Subscribe

Erin K. Banks
Senior Technical Marketing Manager

Profile | Subscribe

Ajay Bharadwaj
Product Manager

Profile | Subscribe

Michael Callahan
Vice President
Product Marketing

Profile | Subscribe

Scott Emo
Director
Product Marketing

Profile | Subscribe

Mora Gozani
Senior Manager
Product Marketing

Profile | Subscribe

Ashur Kanoon
Sr. Manager
Technical Marketing

Profile | Subscribe

Seema Kathuria
Manager
Product Marketing

Profile | Subscribe

Kevin Kennedy
Senior Director
Product Management

Profile | Subscribe

Dave Killion
Software Engineer

Profile | Subscribe

Rebecca Lawson
Senior Director
Product Marketing

Profile | Subscribe

Rajoo Nagar
Senior Manager
Product Marketing

Profile | Subscribe

Erin O'Malley
Manager
Product Marketing

Profile | Subscribe

Galina Pildush
Strategy & Planning
Architect

Profile | Subscribe

Edward Roberts
Director
Product Marketing

Profile | Subscribe

Bill Shelton
Director Field Sales

Profile | Subscribe

Ashutosh Thakur
Product Line Manager

Profile | Subscribe

Troy Vennon
Software Engineer

Profile | Subscribe

Brad Woodberg
Product Manager

Profile | Subscribe

Labels
Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.