Security & Mobility Now
Security is top-of-mind everywhere, especially right here where Juniper experts share their thoughts on the latest security breakthroughs and product advancements
tzou

EX2200 Switch: Simple Solution for Today’s High-Performance Businesses

by Juniper Employee on ‎03-12-2010 12:33 PM

The new Juniper Networks EX2200 Ethernet switches, designed for branch offices and low-density wiring closets, include a number of features designed to make life easier for network administrators.

These features dramatically simplify switch operation and management—critical for environments such as branch offices, where skilled IT staff are not always available.  Let’s begin with the switch’s rear panel, where a USB port allows users to easily back up the switch’s operating system software image and configuration files by simply inserting a thumb drive.

This feature, called “system snapshot,” makes copies of all the software files used to run the switch—the complete contents of the /config and /var directories, including the Junos operating system, the active configuration, and the rescue configuration. This snapshot can be used to reboot the switch at the next power-up or as a backup boot option.  The Junos software can also be pre-installed on a flash drive and used to boot the EX2200 at any time; this is particularly useful when the switch boots to the loader prompt because it can’t locate the Junos OS in the internal flash memory.

Another feature, called automatic software download, enables network administrators to easily upgrade the EX2200 using the DHCP message exchange process to download and install software packages.  Users simply configure the automatic software download feature on EX2200 switches acting as DHCP clients and establish a path to the server where the software package file is installed.  The server then communicates the path to the software package file through DHCP server messages. 

When the automatic software download feature is enabled, the DHCP client EX2200 switch compares the software package name in the DHCP server message to the name of the software package that booted the switch.  If the names are different, the DHCP client EX2200 switch downloads and installs the software package specified in the DHCP server message.

The EX2200 also offers an autoinstallation feature for automatically configuring the switch using a pre-existing file stored on a configuration server—typically a Trivial File Transfer Protocol (TFTP) server. Autoinstallation occurs automatically when an Ethernet port on the EX2200 is connected to the network and the switch is powered on using factory default settings.  The autoinstallation feature can also be explicitly enabled by specifying a configuration server, an autoinstallation interface, and a protocol for IP address acquisition.  This feature is extremely useful for configuring or updating multiple EX2200 switches from a central location.

Initial deployment of the EX2200 switch is also very easy using the “ez-setup” feature. Typing “ezsetup” at the Junos shell prompt root% initiates the ezsetup script, which walks the network administrator through the basic configuration process including hostname, root password, services like Telnet and SSH, in-band and out-band management interfaces, and system date and time.  With ez-setup, network administrators who don’t have much Junos knowledge can successfully deploy EX2200 switches with basic mandatory configurations.

By offering these features, combined with other management features such as J-web, Juniper NMS and third-party management system integration, the EX2200 switches satisfy the branch office and low-density wiring closet connectivity requirements of today’s high-performance businesses.  Delivering complete Layer 2 and basic Layer 3 switching capabilities with simplified management and easy deployment options, the EX2200 represents a highly effective solution for today’s enterprise network.

Comments
by Seth(anon) on ‎05-14-2010 01:02 PM

I just got one of these switches - apparently it doesn't come with a manual and there is no manual to download from the website either :smileysad:

After I connected the console - which is what I do to setup every other networking device I buy - I was presented with a weird looking prompt where the usual "help" and "?" gave nothing... also :smileysad:

In desparation I asked Google since the Juniper website was no help - and that's how I found this article.

I ran the ezsetup (don't know how on earth you'd know to do that if you hadn't set one up before - ls doesnt list anything), after the ezsetup it comes back to the prompt, but without the hostname ... wasnt sure what to do, so I typed reboot. Now I can log in and I see the hostname I set, but I don't know how to see a commands list.

Maybe a great piece of hardware, but if it can't be managed - not all the useful.

by nic1(anon) on ‎06-12-2010 06:38 AM

@ Seth

Dude, this is a managed switched, which is why you are having so many problems; because you don't know what you are doing. It can be managed, your the one who can't manage it. So stop winning and grow a pair.

by AlexY(anon) on ‎07-15-2010 11:05 AM

2Seth, you are so funny :smileyhappy:

The switch is really good, we have installed couple of them (15-20) to our clients and they works fine with EX4200.

It took me some time to figure out how to configure it first time. But now I have steps (from my own experience) and I can put new switch in production for 20 mins (with ports aggregation, VLANs etc).

Also it supports QoS on ports for VoIP implementation and it works really good.

J-Web is intuitive also :smileyhappy:

Just get some practice and you can install and enjoy the performance.

Post a Comment
Be sure to enter a unique name. You can't reuse a name that's already in use.
Be sure to enter a unique email address. You can't reuse an email address that's already in use.
Type the characters you see in the picture above.Type the words you hear.
About Security & Mobility Now

Discussing a wide range of topics impacting enterprises and
data center security.

Subscribe RSS Icon

Our Bloggers

Kyle Adams
Senior Software Engineer

Profile | Subscribe

Ritesh Agrawal
Director
Software Engineering

Profile | Subscribe

Erin K. Banks
Senior Technical Marketing Manager

Profile | Subscribe

Ajay Bharadwaj
Product Manager

Profile | Subscribe

Michael Callahan
Vice President
Product Marketing

Profile | Subscribe

Scott Emo
Director
Product Marketing

Profile | Subscribe

Mora Gozani
Senior Manager
Product Marketing

Profile | Subscribe

Ashur Kanoon
Sr. Manager
Technical Marketing

Profile | Subscribe

Seema Kathuria
Manager
Product Marketing

Profile | Subscribe

Kevin Kennedy
Senior Director
Product Management

Profile | Subscribe

Dave Killion
Software Engineer

Profile | Subscribe

Rebecca Lawson
Senior Director
Product Marketing

Profile | Subscribe

Rajoo Nagar
Senior Manager
Product Marketing

Profile | Subscribe

Erin O'Malley
Manager
Product Marketing

Profile | Subscribe

Galina Pildush
Strategy & Planning
Architect

Profile | Subscribe

Edward Roberts
Director
Product Marketing

Profile | Subscribe

Bill Shelton
Director Field Sales

Profile | Subscribe

Ashutosh Thakur
Product Line Manager

Profile | Subscribe

Troy Vennon
Software Engineer

Profile | Subscribe

Brad Woodberg
Product Manager

Profile | Subscribe

Labels
Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.