The New Network
Explore Juniper’s vision for network innovation and how the company and industry are shaping the future with the new network
mikeb

EMEA Customer Summit

by Juniper Employee ‎02-08-2010 03:48 PM - edited ‎02-08-2010 03:48 PM

Late last year, I had the opportunity to participate in an executive roundtable with Phil Sayer of Forrester Research and Andy Bach of New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) Euronext.  The conversation included an interesting mix of industry-wide observations from Phil on cloud computing, a description of Juniper’s vision for building cloud-ready data center networks from me, and Andy’s experience of designing and building the next generation exchange network.

Phil outlined how cloud computing and server virtualization will drive the future of data center networking.  My takeaway was that regardless of company plans for public cloud services, evolving their data centers into a private cloud will deliver significant business benefits like greater agility and lower costs. 

Andy spoke about the industry-wide mandate to reduce or even eliminate network latency – which represents a shift from the previous focus on primarily network availability. NYSE Euronext has nearly 3,500 listed companies with a market capitalization of more than $12 trillion. Today, a trade transacts in microseconds, and there may be hundreds of quotes per trade.  In 2005, the value of the trades transacted exceeded the market capitalization of the listed companies; this meant a big increase in the turnover rate of shares. In 2008, the value of trades transacted nearly tripled the market capitalization.  This turnover increase is driving over 120 trades per millisecond!  Obviously, the exchange has a critical need to protect itself from malicious attacks and to record and store all transactions for seven years to comply with federal and international regulations.

One logical question is “What do my business and technical needs have in common with NYSE Euronext, and how are they related to cloud computing?”  The answer is “a lot,” in terms of network availability, latency, performance and compliance.

At Juniper, we offer a pragmatic process to make your data center network cloud-ready: simplify, share and secure. Our simplification strategy flattens the network to remove latency, improve server-to-server performance and lower costs. Our process of sharing extends Layer 2 domains between global data centers to enable mobility with live migration, improving disaster recovery and application availability. And our security process evolves policy enforcement from traditional physical separation to identity- and application-based enforcement, with a single tool for administering policy and monitoring compliance.

Anyone who says “If it’s good enough for NYSE Euronext, then it must be good enough for me” is more right than they know. The high-availability, low-latency and compliance benefits NYSE Euronext will achieve with a simplified two-layer data center network design can help you build a cloud-ready data center network too.

Below are some videos of the event.  Let me know your thoughts by leaving a comment and I’ll be sure to get back to you.

VIDEO ONE: Introduction

Phil Sayer presents his view of the current marketplace and how the recession is affecting budgets and staff.  Andy Bach considers the ever increasing pressure on IT to deliver results, even in the face of decreasing budgets and staff.  I lay out how Juniper is helping customers address these financial challenges with high-performance networks. 

VIDEO TWO: Virtualization

Phil explains why he thinks that Virtualization is now.  Andy Bach explains NYSE’s adoption of virtualization in the context of the real-time data environment and how virtualization has helped NYSE Automate back office processes I discuss the new requirements virtualization has placed on the Data Centre and how it is changing the fundamental design and architecture.

VIDEO THREE: Ethernet

Is Ethernet the future for storage?  Phil says yes, because it simplifies the switching architecture and reduces cost but, he explains how legacy Fiber Channel Storage Networks will be around for a while longer.  I explain how Convergence Enhanced Ethernet and Fiber Channel over Ethernet standards are helping the deliver Ethernet Storage Networks and I introduce iSCSI.   Andy Bach discusses the cost advantages of delivering a unified fabric within the data center using 10gE.

Part 1

Part 2

VIDEO FOUR: The Cloud and Data Centre Architecture

Phil sets out the landscape for Cloud Networking and discusses how developments such as  Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and Dynamic and Shared Services  is impacting the Architecture and the Security of the Data Centre.   Andy explains how Internal Cloud Computing is reducing time-to-market in Financial Services.   I talk about the adoption of the Cloud within both Service-Providers and Enterprises. 

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

VIDEO FIVE: Business Best Practices and Dual Vendor Strategy

Is a dual vendor strategy a good initiative?  Phil outlines the case; based on competitiveness and innovation.  Andy Bach discusses the NYSE approach to the second vendor strategy to ensure their network diversity and innovation.  I discuss how Juniper can mitigate the risk for an organization adopting a dual vendor strategy by ensuring Interoperability between vendors.

Comments
by Server rack cable Management(anon) on ‎01-25-2013 03:01 AM

Manufacturing of Server rack cable Management  & Quality management system to ensure highest quality product.A server rack is a standardized frame that is built to keep the multiple electronic equipment modules like computer servers and accessories.

Post a Comment
Be sure to enter a unique name. You can't reuse a name that's already in use.
Be sure to enter a unique email address. You can't reuse an email address that's already in use.
Type the characters you see in the picture above.Type the words you hear.
About The New Network

Exploring the vision for the networking industry and the issues shaping its future.

Subscribe to The New Network    RSS Icon

Our Bloggers

Shaygan Kheradpir
Chief Executive Officer

Profile | Subscribe

Rami Rahim
EVP/GM
Juniper Development & Innovation

Profile | Subscribe

Brad Brooks
Chief Marketing Officer

Profile | Subscribe

Bask Iyer
Senior Vice President and CIO

Profile | Subscribe

Judy Beningson
Vice President, Strategic Planning

Profile | Subscribe

Mike Marcellin
Senior Vice President
Marketing

Profile | Subscribe

Jonathan Davidson
Senior Vice President
Engineering

Profile | Subscribe

Ankur Singla
Vice President of Engineering

Profile | Subscribe

Bob Dix
Vice President
Government Affairs &
Critical Infrastructure Protection

Profile | Subscribe

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.