The New Network
Explore Juniper’s vision for network innovation and how the company and industry are shaping the future with the new network
Leslie Lambert

Juniper Hosts TechWomen Participants from Algeria, Egypt, Lebanon, Palestinian Territories

by Juniper Employee ‎09-28-2012 12:56 PM - edited ‎09-28-2012 12:56 PM

I was paired with Soumaya via a unique cultural and professional exchange program, TechWomen (an initiative of the US State Department’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs), working in partnership with the Institute of International Education and the Anita Borg Institute.

The goal of TechWomen is to empower high-potential technical women, “bringing emerging women leaders in technology sectors from the Middle East and North Africa together with their American counterparts for a professional mentorship and exchange program at leading US companies”. TechWomen was created by pairing US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton’s vision of “smart power diplomacy” with 21st Century Statecraft”.

This year’s 42 TechWomen participants are from Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, the Palestinian Territories, Tunisia and Yemen and take part in a 5-week mentoring program at leading companies in Silicon Valley and the San Francisco Bay Area, including Juniper Networks.

At Juniper, we are hosting four amazing women including my mentee Soumaya Benbartaoui, as well as Lina Akiki from Lebanon, Rash Al-Hawash from Palestinian Territories, and Maria Salama from Egypt.

While at Juniper, Soumaya has focused on learning all she can about cloud computing and how to secure the cloud computing infrastructure. Ultimately she aims to create her own cloud company back in Algeria. She’s had an amazing experience at Juniper’s HQ in Sunnyvale, met many Juniper engineers and leaders, immersed herself into all things cloud, and gained insight into how a global technology company operates. As my shadow, Soumaya has sat in on internal and external business meetings, where she has seen firsthand what it’s like to work in a fast-paced Silicon Valley company, balance a heavy workload, manage a team, all the while maintaining a positive working attitude.

In addition to her Juniper internship, Soumaya has had a cultural mentor, attended workshops, networking events, conferences, and meetings in the Bay Area and Washington, D.C.  She even made it to Disneyland and Universal Studios! Her multi-week experience in the US will conclude next week at the Grace Hopper Conference in Baltimore along with a visit to the US State Department to meet the TechWomen program sponsor, Secretary Hilary Clinton.

This has been an incredible experience for me and I am looking forward to mentoring more TechWomen participants in the future.

leslie_soumaya.png

Comments
by Loubna Haouam(anon) on ‎12-14-2012 04:34 AM

I was hosted by Juniper Networks during my Techwomen experience in 2011. Techwomen program changed my life and taught me a lot about life and work. I had a good technical mentor from Juniper who gave her best to help me on everything. It was my first time to see America and feel like my dream was realized via Techwomen. I can't forget this experience and everyone I met there. I made a big friendship network and became opened for other challenges and adventures about life. What I learned was great and amazing : my personality at work changed. I improved my behavior and could open my mind to think differently ... I miss everyone !

Loubna Haouam

Post a Comment
Be sure to enter a unique name. You can't reuse a name that's already in use.
Be sure to enter a unique email address. You can't reuse an email address that's already in use.
Type the characters you see in the picture above.Type the words you hear.
About The New Network

Exploring the vision for the networking industry and the issues shaping its future.

Subscribe to The New Network    RSS Icon

Our Bloggers

Rami Rahim
Executive Vice President
Platform Systems Division

Profile | Subscribe

Brad Brooks
Chief Marketing Officer

Profile | Subscribe

Bask Iyer
Senior Vice President and CIO

Profile | Subscribe

Judy Beningson
Vice President, Strategic Planning

Profile | Subscribe

Mike Marcellin
Senior Vice President
Marketing

Profile | Subscribe

Jonathan Davidson
Senior Vice President
Engineering

Profile | Subscribe

Ankur Singla
Vice President of Engineering

Profile | Subscribe

Bob Dix
Vice President
Government Affairs &
Critical Infrastructure Protection

Profile | Subscribe

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.