The New Network
Explore Juniper’s vision for network innovation and how the company and industry are shaping the future with the new network
gjschenk

Planning, Planning, Planning – and Some Time with Customers and Analysts Too

by Juniper Employee on ‎12-17-2009 04:22 PM

It's perhaps a bit of a cliché, but people can be a company's greatest asset. With that in mind I've been spending a large chunk of my time towards the end of the year on HR activity - ensuring alignment of skills with aspirations and strategic requirements, reviewing top talent, thinking about long-term succession planning. It all ties into excellence in execution, one of Juniper's five key objectives. Get the people right and other key objectives such as customer focus also fall easier into place.

Along with other executives I've also been finalizing the detailed business plans for 2010. As well as ensuring our internal people are all aligned, we've been giving a lot of thought to our channel partnerships and resources, around skill-sets, capacity planning and the like. The model is the fundamental plank of Juniper's Go To Market strategy, so full alignment with our plans for the New Year are key. We have several dimensions to think about in EMEA, with enterprise and service provider segments, and corporate initiatives that need to be executed locally where markets and cultures can vary massively when you hop over the border.

Despite all this planning and reviewing I have also managed to fit in one of the activities closest to my heart - spending time with customers. For me, these are the conversations that set the context for the planning and alignment year in, year out. I was particularly interested by a conversation with a large cable operator last week. Like most service providers they're seeing a massive take-up in bandwidth, and are specifically attributing this surge to the popularity of HDTV via YouTube in their region. This has led them to reassess their content delivery structure, and they are now thinking about content caching at the network edge to minimize unnecessary capacity absorption.

I've also spent a day in snowy London talking to another key set of people within networking - a group of industry analysts from a number of leading firms who joined me for lunch ahead of Christmas and the New Year. It was very informal and really enjoyable, and we talked about lots of topics beyond networking. Inevitably though, we did stray into thinking about the issues for 2010 - I think the summary list we covered would include mobility, sustainability, applications, compliance, and more for less in the network.

Post a Comment
Be sure to enter a unique name. You can't reuse a name that's already in use.
Be sure to enter a unique email address. You can't reuse an email address that's already in use.
Type the characters you see in the picture above.Type the words you hear.
About The New Network

Exploring the vision for the networking industry and the issues shaping its future.

Subscribe to The New Network    RSS Icon

Our Bloggers

Rami Rahim
Executive Vice President
Platform Systems Division

Profile | Subscribe

Brad Brooks
Chief Marketing Officer

Profile | Subscribe

Bask Iyer
Senior Vice President and CIO

Profile | Subscribe

Judy Beningson
Vice President, Strategic Planning

Profile | Subscribe

Mike Marcellin
Senior Vice President
Marketing

Profile | Subscribe

Jonathan Davidson
Senior Vice President
Engineering

Profile | Subscribe

Ankur Singla
Vice President of Engineering

Profile | Subscribe

Bob Dix
Vice President
Government Affairs &
Critical Infrastructure Protection

Profile | Subscribe

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.