The New Network
Explore Juniper’s vision for network innovation and how the company and industry are shaping the future with the new network
BobMuglia

The 7 Myths of SDN

by BobMuglia on ‎01-10-2013 06:08 AM

There has been a lot of buzz this past year on the concept of software-defined networking (SDN). Many promises have been made, a few notable acquisitions have been executed and innumerable predictions have been posited about how SDN will change networking. 

The reality is that SDN holds exceptional promise.

Yet, what seems odd about the discussions to-date is that although the pontification has been long on “the potential” for SDN, it has been very short on specifics. 

What are the business issues that drive the interest in SDN? What really matters to the customer?  What are the essential elements that define SDN? And perhaps most importantly, how do you get from here to there?

We haven’t seen answers to these questions. Instead, the rhetoric has been all over the map.   Confusion has run rampant and collective beliefs are confused with reality.

At Juniper, we’ve watched this closely and summarize these collective beliefs in what we call the “The 7 Myths of SDN”:

1. It’s only about data center networking
  2. It’s only about reducing CAPEX
  3. It’s only about software
  4. It’s only about centralization
  5. It’s only about OpenFlow
  6. It’s going to happen immediately
  7. It’s going to take forever

We’re convinced that SDN will truly transform networking and are unbelievably excited by its potential. 

We’ve worked together with the sharpest minds in the industry – both within and outside of Juniper – to develop more than just a point of view.  We have a plan.  And we want to share that plan with you.

So, we invite you to sign up and tune in to our virtual introduction of Juniper’s SDN strategy on Tuesday, January 15th from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. PT to learn how Juniper will lead the transformation of networking.  Again. 

Comments
by Alexx(anon) on ‎01-10-2013 11:06 PM

Is it for public? Can I register if I don't have any relationship with Juniper?

by Mark Leary(anon) on ‎01-11-2013 09:44 AM

One thing is for sure, SDN is coming. The only questions are...When? In what form? And from whom? My take on the "why" is in a research note I wrote last year -- http://www.ittybittyurl.com/32bg.

Look forward to sitting in on the Juniper SDN session next week. With so many new entrants (from start-ups to established system/software suppliers) involved in SDN, the approach of the traditional networking vendors is of great interest on many fronts.

by BobMuglia on ‎01-12-2013 10:44 AM

Alexx, to answer your question, yes the web cast on Tuesday is open to everybody.  Tune in!

Bob

by BobMuglia on ‎01-12-2013 10:46 AM

Great questions Mark!  I plan to address these in my talk...

Bob

by Brent Salisbury(anon) on ‎01-14-2013 10:09 AM

Still looking forward to hearing what it IS about from Juniper. Everything and nothing is going to hit the wall eventually.

Post a Comment
Be sure to enter a unique name. You can't reuse a name that's already in use.
Be sure to enter a unique email address. You can't reuse an email address that's already in use.
Type the characters you see in the picture above.Type the words you hear.
About The New Network

Exploring the vision for the networking industry and the issues shaping its future.

Subscribe to The New Network    RSS Icon

Our Bloggers

Shaygan Kheradpir
Chief Executive Officer

Profile | Subscribe

Rami Rahim
EVP/GM
Juniper Development & Innovation

Profile | Subscribe

Brad Brooks
Chief Marketing Officer

Profile | Subscribe

Bask Iyer
Senior Vice President and CIO

Profile | Subscribe

Judy Beningson
Vice President, Strategic Planning

Profile | Subscribe

Mike Marcellin
Senior Vice President
Marketing

Profile | Subscribe

Jonathan Davidson
Senior Vice President
Engineering

Profile | Subscribe

Ankur Singla
Vice President of Engineering

Profile | Subscribe

Bob Dix
Vice President
Government Affairs &
Critical Infrastructure Protection

Profile | Subscribe

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.