The New Network
Explore Juniper’s vision for network innovation and how the company and industry are shaping the future with the new network
RamiRahim

The Next Chapter in the Converged Supercore

by Juniper Employee ‎03-18-2013 05:00 AM - edited ‎03-15-2013 07:38 AM

It's rare that a technology provider has the opportunity to create a new product category, but that's exactly what Juniper achieved with the PTX platform.

Back in 2011, when Juniper defined the vision of the Converged Supercore, it was to address some big problems facing our service provider customers.  Of course traffic continues to grow rapidly and that impacts all parts of the network.  But with the explosion of mobility -- meaning people accessing information from anywhere -- and the evolution of the cloud, the variability of traffic was also increasing. 

While others approached these problems by incrementally improving traditional core routers, Juniper attacked the problem with a new and innovative approach. We converged packet and transport, IP and optical, and the power of multiple networks into one at the core.  The answer wasn’t to throw more power-hungry boxes at the problem – it was to optimize the silicon and the systems to create the next generation core.    

In many industries, breakthroughs are achieved by focusing on a few functions, and optimizing them really well. This simple, yet, powerful concept, was the basis for the Converged Supercore. Juniper recognized that the opportunities to optimize core architectures lay in building purpose-built silicon, systems and software, engineered from the ground up.

Just a year ago, when Juniper rolled out the first fruits of this vision with the PTX5000 the response from our customers around the world was resounding. With the unparalleled advantages of space, density and power, came the added benefit of reduced deployment times of a few months – down from the traditional 12-to-18 month cycle. This is vital because our customers’ place value on rapid time to deployment.

Juniper’s goal for the PTX product family has always been to drive the benefits of the Converged Supercore to the broadest set of customers. Today, as we introduce the PTX3000 – the newest member of the PTX family – I am even more confident in our ability to enable a wide variety of customers to reap the benefits of the Supercore innovation.

The PTX3000 is particularly suited for smaller cores and metro cores because of its form factor. It's less than a foot deep. It fits into environments and locations where a traditional IP core router would not. It provides transport-level resiliency and performance – an important first step towards full packet-optical convergence.   

PTX3000_Facebook_FINAL.jpgMetro Networks are growing so rapidly, that much of the complexity and scale in a metro core network mirror the IP core. But the power challenges are more acute, and space is at a real premium.  Colocations and Central Office were often built years ago, before the Internet and mobility were driving infrastructure decisions.

It is in this context that I find some of the PTX3000 characteristics stunning. One measure of efficiency is how much traffic can be driven with 1KW of power.  The PTX3000 can do 1Tbps – up to 3x better than competing platforms while requiring one-sixth the real estate of the other large routing vendors in the marketplace.  

I often get asked, “Well if it is the smallest, densest and most power-efficient system, then where is the tradeoff?” There is none!  The PTX has been built for packet-transport and that’s the advantage of optimizing on an application and driving meaningful innovation around it. And, yes, it can deliver transport-level performance on latency and failover times, and it has the densest 100G coherent technology as well!!

I believe that packet-based transport infrastructure has finally arrived. What do you think? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Comments
by Blake on ‎03-18-2013 07:09 PM

Great box.  Congrats.

I think it's really important that you maintain synergy & feature parity between the PTX and ACX platforms as much as possible.  They're both basically the same thing (just implemented at different scales) & MPLS service providers must be able to offer an identical service to customers regardless of which box it terminates on.

by Juniper Employee on ‎03-21-2013 08:43 PM

Thanks Blake!  We are absolutely thinking about the PTX and ACX as part of an end-to-end solution based on seamless MPLS.  Goal is to harmonize and simplify operations across network layers and extend the benefits of MPLS without additng cost and complexity. 

by Jibran Rafat(anon) on ‎04-05-2013 03:45 AM

Hi Rami,

Well i see the concept of a converged-supercore has been taken and explained very well by Juniper, however, i wanted to understand how efficient and easy will it be to migrate from an existing traditional IP CORE network to a converged supercore network. 

I see around there are service providers who dont want to invest in something new, rather they want to converge and utilize the existing infra. in the best possible way. 

by Juniper Employee on ‎04-24-2013 09:51 PM

Hi Jibran,

Thanks for your interest and your question.  We have had great success migrating different types of networks to a Converged Supercore architecture.  While most networks run MPLS today there are several IP only networks for which we have developed a full migration and growth strategy.  Our approach typically starts with full network analysis and modeling in order to understand and explain the benefits of the PTX approach.  Of course, we also have our trusted T and MX series products for implementing a full-IP core solutions.

Best Regards,

-Rami

Post a Comment
Be sure to enter a unique name. You can't reuse a name that's already in use.
Be sure to enter a unique email address. You can't reuse an email address that's already in use.
Type the characters you see in the picture above.Type the words you hear.
About The New Network

Exploring the vision for the networking industry and the issues shaping its future.

Subscribe to The New Network    RSS Icon

Our Bloggers

Rami Rahim
Executive Vice President
Platform Systems Division

Profile | Subscribe

Brad Brooks
Chief Marketing Officer

Profile | Subscribe

Bask Iyer
Senior Vice President and CIO

Profile | Subscribe

Judy Beningson
Vice President, Strategic Planning

Profile | Subscribe

Mike Marcellin
Senior Vice President
Marketing

Profile | Subscribe

Jonathan Davidson
Senior Vice President
Engineering

Profile | Subscribe

Ankur Singla
Vice President of Engineering

Profile | Subscribe

Bob Dix
Vice President
Government Affairs &
Critical Infrastructure Protection

Profile | Subscribe

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.