The New Network
Explore Juniper’s vision for network innovation and how the company and industry are shaping the future with the new network

Displaying articles for: 01-13-2013 - 01-19-2013

BobMuglia

The 7 Truths of SDN

by BobMuglia on ‎01-16-2013 01:23 PM

Last Thursday, I published a blog entitled “The 7 Myths of SDN”.  Yesterday at Juniper’s Partner Conference in Las Vegas, I dispelled those myths at the beginning of a presentation called “Decoding SDN.”  For those of you who haven’t had a chance to see the presentation, I thought it would be helpful to quickly outline those myths here.

Read more...

BobMuglia

Decoding SDN

by BobMuglia ‎01-14-2013 10:26 AM - edited ‎01-15-2013 10:35 AM

SDNServiceChain1teaser.jpgFor the past year, software defined networking (SDN) has been the buzz of the networking world.  But in many ways, networking has always been defined by software.  Software is pervasive within all of the technology that impacts our lives and networking is no different.  However, networks have been constrained by the way software has been configured, delivered and managed – literally within a box, updated monolithically, managed through command lines that are throw-back to the days of mini-computers and DOS in the 1980’s.

Read more...

bradb

Value Creation with SDN

by Juniper Employee ‎01-14-2013 09:54 AM - edited ‎02-12-2013 09:40 PM

I believe we may have surprised the networking world today with what can be described as an “oh wow” moment.  It is a 4 step plan that we believe will revolutionize how networks are built and managed for years to come based on the 6 principles of software defined networking (SDN) and the corresponding customer benefits which are:

1. Cleanly separate networking software into four layers (or planes) – management, services, control, and forwarding – providing the architectural underpinning to optimize each plane within the network.
  2. Centralize the appropriate aspects of the management, services and control software to simplify network design and lower operating costs.
  3. Use the cloud for elastic scale and flexible deployment, enabling usage-based pricing to reduce time-to-service and correlate cost based on value.
  4. Create a platform for network applications, services and integration into management systems, enabling new business solutions.
Read more...

About The New Network

Exploring the vision for the networking industry and the issues shaping its future.

Subscribe to The New Network    RSS Icon

Our Bloggers

Rami Rahim
Chief Executive Officer

Profile | Subscribe

Brad Brooks
Chief Marketing Officer

Profile | Subscribe

Bask Iyer
Senior Vice President and CIO

Profile | Subscribe

Mike Marcellin
Senior Vice President
Strategy and Marketing

Profile | Subscribe

Jonathan Davidson
Senior Vice President
Engineering

Profile | Subscribe

Ankur Singla
Vice President of Engineering

Profile | Subscribe

Bob Dix
Vice President
Government Affairs &
Critical Infrastructure Protection

Profile | Subscribe

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.